how to get 8/9 freq divider?

Hayder

Joined Mar 6, 2016
Hello
I build freq divider 8/12 using d flip flop, but I wonder how to make it 8/9 ?
I build my divider like:
%2/3 --> %2 ----> %2
the result is 8/12, now how can I play with gates to obtain 8/9 instead?
thanks a lot

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Take a look at the 7497 binary rate multiplier datasheet for some ideas. It won't do exactly what you want, but you can use the circuit as a starting point.

If you don't restrict the solution space to some gates, a PLL would do it easily.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Hello
I build my divider like:
%2/3 --> %2 ----> %2
thanks a lot
Could you clarify what you mean by 8/9? I interpreted it to mean that for every 9 input clock pulses, you wanted 8 out.

Also, could you post a schematic for the circuit you referred to?

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hello
I build my divider like:
%2/3 --> %2 ----> %2
thanks a lot
If you've built it then you must have a schematic on hand which you could post to clear up what you mean.
For example, When you say you want an 8/9 divider, does that mean that if you put 90Hz into it you'd like to get 80Hz out?\

And what about output duty cycle and input frequency?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello
I build my divider like:
%2/3 --> %2 ----> %2
thanks a lot
8 isn't hard at all - there are old logic family databook on archive.org - there are probably application examples how to hook up standard divider stages for weird and wonderful ratios.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I deleted my original post. It didnt make sense (I must have been drinking). My updated response is below.

First, is the frequency you are "multiplying" by 8/9 a digital or analog signal?

If digital, read on...

Ok , but I need the circuit configuration...
Thanks
Start by multiplying your clock by 8. Or, in actuality by 2. There is a common circuit using digital logic to multiply by 2. Just apply this circuit three times to multiply by 8 (2^3=8).
IMG_2920.PNG
Then feed the multiplied signal into a CD4017. Take output 9 and connect it to reset. Take any other output as your divide by 9 output.

This results in an 8/9 signal.

Hayder

Joined Mar 6, 2016
I deleted my original post. It didnt make sense (I must have been drinking). My updated response is below.

First, is the frequency you are "multiplying" by 8/9 a digital or analog signal?

If digital, read on...

Start by multiplying your clock by 8. Or, in actuality by 2. There is a common circuit using digital logic to multiply by 2. Just apply this circuit three times to multiply by 8 (2^3=8).
View attachment 119160
Then feed the multiplied signal into a CD4017. Take output 9 and connect it to reset. Take any other output as your divide by 9 output.

This results in an 8/9 signal.

Interested...
I want to build 8/9 using d flip flops and I found this diagram somewhere

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 11.11.01 AM.png
- what is the idea of putting these gates? just to understand to build more configurations like 15/16 or 31/32
- where I can put the output of 3-nor gate? without using Reset
Thanks

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Where is the output of your circuit? And what do each of the two traces represent?

I have trouble understanding your circuit. U1 and U2 have their clocks tied together and to nothing else. That means to me they will never change state. And you cannot predict what that state is.

I am away from any computer (on phone) otherwise I'd simulate the circuit.​

Hayder

Joined Mar 6, 2016
I'm sorry for fussy circuit.
U1, U2 is represent 2/3 divider , so I connect more 2 FF ( U5 and U6) to got divided by 4 , so whole circuit is represented 8/9 divider , this is what I understand from this diagram

IMG_0101.PNG

But the output is wrong ( the output is from U6)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I found your diagram. Unfortunately, it is only a block diagram with no further explanation. Perhaps another member can explain it.

My questions remain unanswered, so at this time I can't help further. I like the idea of the diagram because it appears simpler than the brute force approach I have in mind (multiply by 2 three times, divide by 3 twice).