How to generate a Modified sin wave...?

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi,

Recently I am working on Inverter. After using a SG3524 PWM chip for square wave with output 220V regulation on load.
now i want to go for modified sin wave as the current drawn on square wave is also high than modified sin wave and some appliance does not work well.

Audio guru has posted a M. sin wave ckt in my previous thread using 4047 and 4001 which is working but there is no feed back option in it...
so, kindly help me if u have any idea related

sorry i can't upload image don't know why??
i have seen this but how to generate it!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2C_3_level.PNG

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Start studying "class D" amplifiers, as they put out a modified sine wave. The higher the carrier frequency the closer to a sine wave the output gets.

Here is a link to a pure sine wave inverter - http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-042507-092653/unrestricted/MQP_D_1_2.pdf

This is not going to be a single chip solution, or a simple solution. If it was, you could not build one yourself for the price of a store bought one.

The voltage regulation would come from the output being rectified and then fed back to the SG3525.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You can use a PIC to generate a modified sine wave. Keep in mind, however, that a modified sine wave isn't anywhere close to a real sine wave, and cannot be used wiht every appliance that a sine wave can be used with.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Audio guru has posted a M. sin wave ckt in my previous thread using 4047 and 4001 which is working but there is no feed back option in it...
Where?

If you don't want to use a uC you could use the following:
- fixed frequency oscillator for the PWM switching frequency
- transform this into a triangle wave
- generate a reference sinewave of your mains frequency (see this post)
- compare triangle with sine wave, the output will be PWM
- feed this to an H-bridge with a 60Hz transformer or a LC filter , depends on if you want it isolated or not

You now have an inverter.

You now decide if you want a simple rectifier-battery-inverter configuration or rectifier-battery and static switch/bypass/inverter.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... a modified sine wave isn't anywhere close to a real sine wave...
Depends what you mean by "close". I think that's a key point often missed. English words like "modified" are not adequate - you need to specify just how close to a real sine wave you need. Square not close enough? How about a triangle? How about stair-stepped square wave with n steps. How big does "n" need to be? How about RC simulation of sine?

Somebody must have developed a suitable terminology for this, that captures notions of maximum error, maximum time-averaged error and such.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Depends what you mean by "close". I think that's a key point often missed. English words like "modified" are not adequate - you need to specify just how close to a real sine wave you need. Square not close enough? How about a triangle? How about stair-stepped square wave with n steps. How big does "n" need to be? How about RC simulation of sine?

Somebody must have developed a suitable terminology for this, that captures notions of maximum error, maximum time-averaged error and such.

"Modified" sine wave is more of a marketing gimmik than a tecnical description. It's important to understand the difference. As I said, it's not even close to a real sine wave, either in shape or what it's capable of driving. For example, I can use a Modified Sine Wave to drive a resistive heater, but not for many electric motor applications.

I once plugged my little compressor into a Mod SW invertor. It just grunted and blew the circuit breaker.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I don'think anybody makes an extremely simple square-wave inverter anymore because many electronic products and motor speed controls rely on the much higher peak voltage of a sine-wave from the mains.

But a modified sine-wave is used today for most cheap inverters. It is really a modified square-wave with peak voltages almost the same as a sine-wave from the mains and "off-times" so that the average voltage is almost the same as the RMS voltage from the sine-wave from the mains.

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The higher the frequency of the triangle wave the closer the out put will look like a sine wave. But the OP doesn't want to learn how to do it, he wants a working circuit given to him. :(