How to fabricate flex circuits like this?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
1) Materials are hard to find
2) Thin stuff is really hard to drill
3) Messing with nasty chemicals is no fun
4) Your homemade flex circuit is going to be poor quality

Like Papa said, it's a commodity skill, learning this has no career or strategic value.
You could make homemade tires for your car- but you wouldn't.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Maybe they are trying to start an offshore flex circuit fabrication company. Too bad they're two decades behind the curve. Better luck next time fellas.

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
We tried 3 times and finally we make it, but still many things should be considered. How do you guys to fabricate this?
That depends on the design requirements. Some of the manufacturers are using laser cutting, mechanical routing, steel rule dies and chemically milled dies methods for final fabrication.

Della Tan

Joined Jun 22, 2016
1) Materials are hard to find
2) Thin stuff is really hard to drill
3) Messing with nasty chemicals is no fun
4) Your homemade flex circuit is going to be poor quality

Like Papa said, it's a commodity skill, learning this has no career or strategic value.
You could make homemade tires for your car- but you wouldn't.
1)We use FFCL (polyimide+copper)
2)laser drill we can use
3)If we can fabricate well, I believe they are useful, after all, flex circuits are widely used in many electrical applications. How do you think?

Della Tan

Joined Jun 22, 2016
That depends on the design requirements. Some of the manufacturers are using laser cutting, mechanical routing, steel rule dies and chemically milled dies methods for final fabrication.
But the difficult point is the location of "Gold Fingers", they are hollow.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That's quite good, so have you some suggestion for the hollow gold fingers? Thank you in advance.
You misunderstand. I was a user of flex circuits, not a maker. I went to the people who are professionals and had them do the work for me. I was satisfied with the results. You should ask the people who do this for advice. It was not clear to me if you are a user or a maker of flex circuits.