how to drive a turbo boost solenoid?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by luey02, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luey02

Thread Starter New Member

May 28, 2012
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to drive a boost control solenoid?

http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Motorsp...ords=Titan+Motorsports+Boost+Control+Solenoid

I believe it's a pin valve that opens/closes at the specified frequency of 30 Hz (unlike proportional solenoids where the pin is held open at different heights).

However, I tried to drive the solenoid with constant current pwm using a ssr but the valve just stays 100% activated at any frequency and duty cycle I used. The circuit I used is attached.

Anyone has experience working with these valves? Any help is appreciated!

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    What PWM frequency are you using? I believe arduino's default frequency is 512Hz, about 17x faster than what you need.

3. luey02

May 28, 2012
    I tried frequencies between 10 to 500 Hz... but the solenoid doesn't seem to be deactivating.

There is a large hysteresis in the valve operation, 8V on and 2V off, which I dont understand why.

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    30hz is awefully fast to literally open and close a valve. Are you sure it's not a proportional valve? Proportional valves often employ fixed frequency PWM to maintain their position.

Also, are you bench testing the valve, or do you have it connected to some sort of pressurized supply? Unless it's a direct-acting valve, there is some pilot plumbing in there which needs the proper pressures to function as intended.

5. luey02

May 28, 2012
    YOu may be right, i'm not exactly sure how it works.

Yes, I am bench testing the valve by connection with a 60psi supply. I know I'm not getting the fine control capable of these valves... this 'normally closed' valve just closes shut when the current supply falls below a threshold.

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    ok, good, you've got a supply, what about the exhaust? I know literally nothing about this valve, so I can only comment on what I know about other types of pneumatic valves. Some require a specific pressure drop across them, meaning that simply leaving the output port open to atmosphere is a no-go; you need some sort of restriction on the output. Also, is 60PSI reasonable? what range of pressures would this valve be designed to see in service?

7. luey02

May 28, 2012
    The product description said 120 psi and I have gone that high without problem. I dont think a restrictor is needed for these valves.

I'm fairly well-versed on the mechanical side of things... I just thought something is missing on the circuit side.

8. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Well unless someone else on the forum is familiar with that specific valve or at least that type of valve, I don't see how anybody could help you without more information. That's the only thing I hate about amazon.com; everywhere else gives you a link to a datasheet or manual, but amazon just leaves you guessing. Did the valve come with a pamphlet in the box? any (even seemingly impertinent) information would help.

9. luey02

May 28, 2012
    Nope..no documentation.

I guess the valve was meant to work with an electronic controller and not by hacking.

10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    looking at the part closer, I see it's a MAC valve body. I suspect that the valve body AND the solenoid is just a rebranded "titan motorsports" valve (they just slapped their logo on it and marked it up). If you can find the MAC part number, you should be able to locate some info on the MAC website.

11. cork_ie

Oct 8, 2011
    This is a very common setup.
    If it isn't working properly there is obviously something wrong, the should be no hysteresis as it is a PWM supply. Where are you getting the 8V and 2V from?
    I have checked a similar valve on a car here today and can confirm that the frequency is 28HZ 14V square wave.
    Is there any possibility that you have the ports mixed up? there should be three. Some of these valves supply pressure to the wastegate aneroid and more of them rely on vacuum, just different systems depending on the engine manufacturer. If the turbo is a variable vane type the valve will generally be a vacuum control type and have approx 85% duty cycle at engine tickover.
    Who is the manufacturer of the valve? What brand/model turbo are you using?

12. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Car? This will likely draw the attention of the moderators, as due the ToS (See link at the bottom of the page) automotive modifications are not discussed on this particular forum.
    I hope after reading the Terms of Service you understand the site's reasons. There are other resources available that can help you; just not here.

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm afraid djsfantasi has the right of it.

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

14. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Is this supposed to be locked? How am I able to post?

Well anyways I would just like to point out that OP did not say anything about doing an automotive modification. It's fairly common to use car parts in circuits which nothing to do with cars.

15. cork_ie

Oct 8, 2011
    If you have a look at my previous post I said I have checked a similar valve on a car, I did not say that these valves are only on automotive equipment because there are a 1001 different applications for this kind of stuff. PWM is now almost universal for any kind of electro-pneumatic control in anything from industrial automation to 500 Ton cranes.

16. cork_ie

Oct 8, 2011
  17. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    #12 likes this.
  18. luey02

May 28, 2012
    Ok, just made the PWM flow solenoid work. I grounded the PWM and the CV supply, but just not together!

Sorry about the newbie mistake!

For some reason, I just thought the PWM generator and 12+V can be separate circuits:(

So to clarify, boost solenoid flow valves controls pressure by actuating at a given frequency, not by holding the valve open at different heights.

Anyone knows if they make flow control, i.e. proportional, solenoid valves that maintains at different heights?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  19. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Opps, silly me. It appears I forgot a small step.

Seriously, we may not all like the rules, but automotive is not an open subject on AAC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.