How to determine typical current for a cpu

nepdeep

Joined Sep 14, 2011
Hi, We know the typical , max and min values of voltage for the CPU. but the current in the cpu is changing ....is not it....? as far as i think it depends on how many input/ output pins are acitve.....but i have heard lot of time people talking aboiut the current ratings too....please provide me some tips or links :)

nepdeep

Joined Sep 14, 2011
I was talking in general....let us suppose the cup i am using is ATTINY2313..they say the 6[mA] or2[mA] max....now how do i determine the typical current during the operation....yuck!!...huh!!etc...but again my quesion is general....I want general answer please....

the qestion rose when i was thinking about designing power supply...should i cosider the maximum current limit of the cpu as the worst case situation or the maximum limitation of the powersupply

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
There will surely be a graph in the main datasheet that shows current vs frequency and supply voltage. With larger cpus like the xmegas the consumption varies also depending on pullups/pulldowns on i/o pins and what all modules you have turned on and what power saving options you use.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Put a big cap on Vdd (like 470uF) then use an ammeter to supply the Vdd to the cap.

I have an old Avometer (moving needle type) that is great for showing a couple of mA,on its 10mA range.

Digital ammeters tend to jump around a bit but an old moving needle type will show a current average quite nicely.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yep. Can't live without at least one analog meter movement. Some things just jitter too much for a DVM.