How to determine the breaker's current rating

MalikJumani

Joined Jul 26, 2013
I have some breakers which do not have their current rating written on it (the sticker is peeled off). Also, there is nothing written on the body too, I checked already.

I need to find it's current rating as I know that they operate at 220VAC and they are under the range of 32amps.

For this, I connected two 1000W lamps in parallel, connected it to the 6amps breaker and switched on the supply. The breaker tripped as they need 8amps. Then I replaced the 6amps breaker with the 10amp and checked again, the limps lit up perfectly. After some more searching I found out that the resistance in the lamps changes dramatically after heating.

This change in rating doesn't effect the 6amps breaker tripping at first but the breaker doesn't trip once the lamps are hot. I let the lamps go cool after the breaker is tested to check another one. I need to check the breakers till 32amps.

If this goes good, I will keep adding the lamps and keep checking the ampere rating.

or else, please suggest me some reliable way to make the load to check the breakers.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
The breakers normally are with standard ratings for 230VAC - 2A, 5A, 10A, 16A and 32A.
Your technique is not too elegant, but they will serve the purpose.

Ramesh

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't know about where you are, but here a 20A breaker is about $3.

Besides, I don't know what quality a breaker could be if the only rating information is a stuck on label.