How to determine resistance between IC's?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I feel like I know electronics fairly well but I have always had a hard time determining needed resistance between connected IC's. Is there a general rule of thumb or chart somewhere I don't know about? Could someone explain how to figure the resistance needed between a 4027 and a 4001 when the supply voltage is 12v?

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Zero ohms works very well for all possible levels of Vcc (roughly 3 volts to 18 volts for 4000 CMOS). Why do you think there should be some resistance between the output of one and the input of the other?

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
A rule is "Do Not Use Resistors where they are not needed." Why do you think a resistor is needed? What purpose would a resistor perform in this application? CMOS devices such as 4027s and 4001s are voltage driven devices. Maybe if you provided a specific circuit it would be easier to provide a useful answer answer to your question.

beenthere hit it right zero ohms. They are hard to find though.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The reason no resistors are needed is because the input resistance of a CMOS gate is typically high. Thus, very little current is drawn. The "CMOS Cookbook" (an excellent book, BTW) states the fanout can be 50 (or more) -- the actual fanout is limited by the line capacitances rather than the gate input impedances.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The only thing necessary is that the signal from the 555 go to Vcc so the CMOS sees a high. The CMOS, as in post #4, does not impose a load on the 555 output.