how to determine all the value of the circuit

studystudystudy

Joined May 21, 2010
i design a circuit, which will store the energy from piezoelectric effect,

piezoelectric effect is when ever the peizo material is under compress or tension, piezo material will generated amount of electricity.

my circuit is used to stored the energy. i have design a circuit, what to consider if i want to determine the value of each component .
the circuit consist of general diode, zener diode, triac, resistor, capacitor.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The current from a piezo is so small that storing it will produce almost no power to do anything.
years ago this might have been true.. There are many piezo and other micropower harvesting kits on the market now. Power consumption in some modern IC's is very low now and low enough to be powered from such harvesting devices.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If the circuit you are powering uses almost no current then why power it from people or animals jumping on a piezo? Why not from a solar cell? Or from a little battery cell that will last for years?

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
In THEORY only:
Never been built, just a first order design based on components mentioned, using them like puzzle pieces to put together a circuit as a proof of concept only.

The piezo signal enters in at the right side of the schematic, assuming a sinewave with a lot of harmonics, it is first rectified on the positive excursion, through the DIODE, this positive value is fed to the gate of the SCR, the SCR is switched on thereby cleaning up the original signal convereting it from a analog pulse to a digital pulse, this digital signal is then fed to the RC network, set up as a timer, to allow the capacitor to charge for a set amount of time depending on the length of the pulse recieved.

As the input signal drops to a negative value, then by predetermined value of Zener voltage, the Zener diode conducts heavily, causing the anode voltage of the SCR to drop significantly enough to cause the SCR to turn off. Waiting for a new input signal to occur.

Forgot to put capacitive coupling between the piezo and the input of the diode. " WHOOPS"

piezo storage.jpg