How to Detect Line Audio Voltage

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vipergt023, Sep 29, 2008.

1. vipergt023

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Hello,

I'm trying to make a circuit that will take in line level audio and is able to switch something on/off when sound is coming through (e.g. the sound from a headphone jack). I'm a newbie to circuits and any direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vinoj

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    It's possible, but it will need it's own power, unless you have a handy source of, say, 12 volts DC.

3. vipergt023

Sep 29, 2008
    I've been reading - I think I may need a voltage comparator. I do have power - 5V from the USB port on a computer. I'd just hook up the two power lines and ignore the data pins.

4. vipergt023

Sep 29, 2008
    What about a comparator hooked to a relay? Then if the voltage exceeds a certain point, the output voltage could trigger the relay (switch) - could that work?

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    First you need a high impedance op amp to monitor and amplify the audio out. Then rectify it and apply it to the comparator, which can pull in a relay.

6. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  7. vipergt023

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks! That Scary Terry circuit looks like it'll do what I need it to. As I was looking around I came across a Schmitt-trigger. Would that work for this also? To provide more detail, the equipment I'm switching is a microphone - basically when the speaker is on, I want to mute the microphone. I heard something about a Schmitt trigger with an open collector. Is there an IC that anyone knows of that does the same as the Scary Terry or the Schmitt-trigger?