How to design Digital hardware

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vead, Jan 9, 2014.

1. vead

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I want to implement algorithm for digital hardware design. I have tried on google but didn't find exact answer I have collect some things If anywhere I am wrong then please correct me

1)specification of hardware
    2)digital logic design
    3)circuit design
    4)layout design
    finally layout is made then verified and send to fabrication
  2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011

To implement such an algorithm one typically hires an engineer, but if you can do it in a computer program then have at it.
  3. 4pyros

Jan 3, 2014
    Well you will need prototype, debug, and redesign.
    Are you going to implement continuous improvement?
  4. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    its paper work for my understanding
    hardware is implemented and tested with the help of programming language and tools
    hardware specification
    functional design
    functional verification
    logic design
    logic verification
    circuit design
    circuit verification
    layout design
    layout verification

I try to explain please check out me

whenever we want to design hardware first we need to know the specification of hardware . I have tool quartus and I know little bit about verilog and IF i want to design processor so first i need to know the specification like memory bit alu bit, counter bit etc then we create logic like logic for alu , counter next we write code verify by the simulator that the logic is correct or not then we create rtl view we create circuit diagram and verify by the simulator same we create layout design and finally sent to fabrication
  5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    This is like saying that you want someone to give you the exact algorithm for planning a wedding. Is the wedding in a church or is in on a beach half way around the world? That might have an affect on the planning process. Same for a few hundred other factors big and small.

How you go about designing digital hardware depends on a LOT of things, many of which can be nebulous and variable.

First up, is this "digital hardware" a circuit board with discrete components? programmable logic of some type? Full-custom ASIC? Those design flows might be a bit different?

Then, it is not at all uncommon for the customer to only have a vague notion of what they want/need, particularly in terms of implementation. In many such cases you have to go through lots of short cycles to progressively develop a design that will meet their needs. Maybe that can happen all in your Step 1 (great, but not very common) or maybe it requires cycles that can extend through layout (and, if really bad, even require going to fab and getting parts back for them to fiqure out whether it will really work for them or not).

Most companies will develop a basic design flow that works for them and the kind of designs they generally work with.
  6. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    thanks WBahn but I am not going to do wedding whenever I will do I will ask you
    you did not understood my questions as designer If i want to design digital hardware on software first we need specification then we need software I have quartus software and then I can write code I write code in verilog then verify by the simulator then I make RTL view and verify by simulator then what next don't know It may sound like VLSI design flow behavioral structural data flow domain

simple I want to ask whenever We want to design digital hardware on computer what things should we remember step by step I know its broad question but anyone can explain little bit its grate for me
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  7. Veracohr

Jan 3, 2011
    I think the issue here is that it sounds like you're asking for a recipe, and there is no recipe.

You already seem to have the basic idea: you need to know what you want to design, you need to design it, and you need to make sure your design works as intended. Beyond that, it's pretty much project-specific.

I'd say just jump in and start.
  8. Stuntman

Mar 28, 2011
    Very project specific, as others have mentioned.

You can't do too much damage with a breadboard and jumpers, so if you can, start there, I still do, if the circuit and components allow.

With more complex/faster/omnifuntional and SMT only parts/peripherals, sometimes you have no choice but put together your best plan for hardware, have a custom PCB built and work on software and troubleshooting from that.

Still yet, some projects are best planned through the use of computer simulation software (SPICE, Microcap, Multisim, etc), then move foward with hard prototypes.

There's just a lot of different ways to come to the same conclusion. Your goal, is to minimize the overhead and make the debugging (whether software, hardware, logic, comm, etc) as painless as possible.
  9. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Digital hardware usually means a lot of ICs connected together. Nowadays some of the things are done with configurable logic like FPGAs but still not every project requires one.

So if what you want is a general recipe, please be more general about your statements.

The key thing that you need to remember when designing digital hardware is that there is nothing digital in this world and that digital logic is just an abstraction. The actual electrons flowing in your circuits are analog and you need to think about them like that, so power supply decoupling, transmission lines and impedance matching, noise immunity and radiation, ground bounce and lots and lots of other small things and special cases are important. The basic logic, like gates, latches etc., is the simplest part of all of it.

Another key factor is that the design is iterative, as you rarely get everything right on the first try (unless you dwell into formal verification and other fun stuff). So most likely even your specification will change after the first prototype is made.
  10. vead

Nov 24, 2011
    thanks to all for giving important time
    VLSI circuit designed by cmos technology I have some experience with verilog and FPGA
    whenever we start designing we need to check product before sending it to fabrication there are some tool that can check and verify it ( simulator) verification give answer that it is possible to make physical hardware according to your choice or not
    I have few question
    1) what is vlsi design flow chart and why we used I think vlsi flow chart is used to design Ic but not sure
    2) what is Behavioural design in vlsi
    3) what is structural design in vlsi
    4) what is physical design in vlsi