How to design and build a dual power supply producing +/- 5v,+/-9 ,+/-12v,+/-15v

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'd start with a few more specifications. Do you want eight separate fixed power supplies, or do you want and adjustable power supply? How much current do you want the power supply to provide? Do you wan to use linear regulators or did you have a switch mode power supplies in mind?

Regardless of those answers you'll need to find a center tapped transformer with one or more secondary wingdings. I'd recommend a dual center tapped secondary model with 8VAC and 18VAC.
Next you'll need some bridge rectifiers, and last you'll need some filter capacitors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Bas...XqVBfvSGM:&usg=__I8Y2T9a89-PcmlYODbhc3vBR9yo=

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Start with a transformer, center tapped with dual 15 volt windings. Add rectifiers, capacitors, and:
LM7815
LM7915
LM7812
LM7912
LM7809
LM7909
LM7805
LM7905

Assemble on pad-per-hole perf-board with each voltage supplying the next stage.
Use enough capacitance on the outputs to slow down the start voltage so the positive voltages don't block the negative regulators from starting up.
I've heard that a Shottky diode across each output will also stop the regulators from fighting when you first switch the power on.

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Start with a transformer, center tapped with dual 15 volt windings. Add rectifiers, capacitors, and:
LM7815
LM7915
LM7812
LM7912
LM7809
LM7909
LM7805
LM7905

Assemble on pad-per-hole perf-board with each voltage supplying the next stage.
Use enough capacitance on the outputs to slow down the start voltage so the positive voltages don't block the negative regulators from starting up.
I've heard that a Shottky diode across each output will also stop the regulators from fighting when you first switch the power on.
After building many different ones, I finally built one very similar to that and is what I use most of the time.

I just added a small, variable one which I could use as signal in analog circuits.