How to convert an A/C switch into D/C

Fatheroftwomonsters

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Hello to all:

Is anyone out there knows how to convert an A/C switch into a D/C switch?

My project is fairly simple; (2) 1.5V, 850mAh rechargeable batteries in a holder that will supply power to (2) blinking LED, rated 5.0V, 20mA each. The circuit works but when I add on a soft-feel Switch from Radio Shack, it burns the LEDs right away. The Switch is SPST Push-On-Off, contacts rated 3A at 125VAC, 1A at 250VAC.

I figured myself that adding the A/C switch would burn my D/C LEDs, is there a way that I can "Rectify" the A/C Switch to make it D/C compatible? If there is a Rectifier available, what is the rating I need to complete my project?

The Staff at my local Radio Shack does not have a clue about what my situation is and that's why I am here to consult with the best of the best folks who knows electronics a bit more.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

David

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If there is any switch bounce, it could make a voltage spike with the initial current flow and any capacitance or inductance in the circuit.

Tell us more about the circuit and how it is wired.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The switch really has nothing to do with your LED's burning up. If your current is not regulated with a resistor you are more than likely allowing far too much current to pass through your LED's. How are you determining that the circuit works ok, just a quick tap of one wire to another and the LED's flash momentarrily? I would bet that if you hold the wires together longer that the LED's would burn op again. Also, I am also guessing that the rated value of the LED's you mentioned, the 5V, is the Max rating and not the typical operating voltage. This would probably be between 2.9V and 3.6V. Your circuit diagram would be most helpful here, also the exact specs of your LED's (Vf and If). But idealy, with the Voltage supply and number of LED's I would reccoment connecting them in parallel, each with a resistor of about 10 Ohms to be safe.