How to Control one computer from Another, Differently...

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by 200702439, Jul 14, 2010.

1. 200702439

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Hello Guys,

I have a project task in which i have to connect two computers and control one computer by using the Other.
    I am asked to use one computer as a virtual input and perform the output tasks on the other.

Specifically talking, i am going to use a Grid Software (Type of interactive on screen keyboard) on the controlling computer to perform specific tasks on the other computer.

Why this is tricky is because i need to control in such a way that if i click on a specific task on my computer, the task is supposed to be performed on the other Computer.

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Remote Computing.

Give that to google and you will get software a plenty.

3. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Under Windows it is referred to "Remote Desktop Connection" under the [Programs/Accessories/Communication] from the windows Start Menu....

and there are other programs that will let you do this, one very widely used application is Symantec's PCAnywhere.....

B. Morse

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I've used TightVNC with some success.

5. 200702439

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I have used VNC before but it doesn't fit my situation.

I am required to create a Master and Slave environment. I am expected to use my computer as an Input device to the other computer.

I need help urgently..plzz :(

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Have you even looked into the remote desktop connection?? This will do exactly as you need....

B. Morse

7. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    You don't give any details like what type of computer you're on or what constraints you have to work with. It sounds like it's an assignment for a class, so if you want help, the least you can do is post the assignment along with your request for help.

The problem isn't conceptually difficult to solve. For example, since you haven't constrained the problem, I'd say: connect the two computers with a network connection and use sockets for the communication task. But I could also solve the problem using a digital or analog output board on one computer and a corresponding digital or analog input board on the other computer.

8. davebee

Oct 22, 2008
    What you're describing sounds like the old host computer/terminal arrangement that mainframes used to use, (and maybe still do?) where the terminal consists of a keyboard and a display and sometimes a tiny bit of intelligence.

When you type on the keyboard, the generated characters are sent to the remote computer, and the remote computer sends back characters to be displayed on the terminal screen. You get a "session" on the remote computer, and commands you type are executed on the remote system.

But that's basically the same thing that programs like VNC and Remote Desktop Connection do, so I guess I'm also not clear on what your requirements are.