How to control a 24 V stepper that already has driving circuitry?

Robby

Joined Dec 28, 2012
Hi,
I'm a newbie to digital logic, and like the KISS principle. I've got this Samsung 24v stepper that already has a driving chip (44025). My question is: How can I interface it to a servo controller (1 - 2 ms) pulse?
Any hints are welcome.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
post link to a datasheet of the motor or driver.
there is plenty of stepper motors with built in driver or even controller. usually they expect TTL level signals.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Servo controllers and stepper motors are two different beasts. As said above, post the Datasheets (or links) and we'll see what we can come up with.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This is a very nice chip, but it is for a stepper motor not a servo. A stepper motor uses a rotor with magnetic poles that move in increments as different forward and reverse voltages are moved thorough the various coils to lock with the poles in the motor to step forward or reverse in descrete angles (or fractions of a rotation). This motor can turn infinitely forward or backward. A logic control system (sensors/instructions, etc will determine when, how fast it moves and when it slows or stops and does something else. The decoder chip takes incoming clock pulses to determine speed (or stop with lack of clock pulses) and a second signal to determine forward/backward rotation.

A servo-motor normally rotates 1 revolution and the signal fed to it determines the angle from the starting point that the servo will turn (and stay). Normally, a 50Hz rectangle wave is fed to the servo. The length of time the pulse stays High (but still at 50Hz) determines the angle if the servo.

Read the datasheet with my hints in mind and see what you come up with . Note were to connect power, clock signal and direction to the chip. There are many more options but see if you can get it to work from just that. Beyond that, you can go to 1/2 steps, missed steps and many other features of this chip.