How to control 30 or more solenoid valves from computer

Fides

Joined Nov 8, 2013
Hi,

I'm an IT student working on my graduation project, don't know anything about electronics.

The electronics engineer who is helping me building the project said that relays are not fast enough to control the solenoid valves simultaneously, and it needed a control box. I don't know what a control box is or how to search the net for it, any help?

If there is any thing else that can replace this box it will be helpful too, I want to make a Water Printer, valves should be controlled and synchronized by computer to print images with water, but this can't be done using relays because they're not fast enought, so if there is some thing else that can replace relays and be fast to accomplish the printing task I'm open to suggestions.

This is a water printer video:
http://www.wimp.com/waterprinter/

Fides

Joined Nov 8, 2013
Thank you very much, it's a long thread it going to take some time to read, but really seems very helpful. Thank you

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The solenoid valves themselves are relatively slow to open/close (probably much slower than relays). They would need to have consistent and preferably closely-matched response times.