How to connect wires to individual pins on D-Subs

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
I seem to remember a box of pins and connectors that you could crimp to wires and then connect to individual pins or sockets on a D-Sub. I have been scouring the internet but couldn't find the box of pins or the crimping tool. Anyone can recommend anything, preferably from Farnell or RS?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If you have a lot of crimps to make, IMO, the best tool is something like DMC AF8 or AFM8. It's relatively expensive, but gives good crimps and is easy to use. The positioner/head is separate, so make sure you buy both. When I bought one in the 80's, it cost about $300 for both.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/conne...ries/crimp-tool-positioners-turrets-locators/
This is a comparable tool from another manufacturer...

An alternative is to use a BNC pin crimper, but the crimps aren't as good.

EDIT: For this type of (machined) pin:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I always used the solder type too. Works good if you dont mind a little soldering. Didnt want to have to buy any expensive crimp tool just for doing a few connectors a year if that. The connector body cover hides everything anyway so you dont see any solder after it is done.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I seem to remember a box of pins and connectors that you could crimp to wires and then connect to individual pins or sockets on a D-Sub. I have been scouring the internet but couldn't find the box of pins or the crimping tool. Anyone can recommend anything, preferably from Farnell or RS?
Your search skills = weak :p
Go to farnell.. find the d-sub category in connectors and find the contacts you need..
Newark (US farnell) has 282 terminals for d-sub connectors.. 221 are the crimp type

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
I was looking for the box of assorted pin crimps rather than individual ones. I had a look on Farnell and RS and couldn't see anything. Just better to have larger quantities in a box rather than buying them individually.

They used to have them at my work place so I know they exist