How to connect these pins?

bumclouds

Joined May 18, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm putting together my AVR Dragon and I've come up against a problem. (if you don't know what the AVR Dragon is don't worry).

Basically what I need to do is connect a 6-pin header to 6 other pins that are all spread out (refer to diagram) using ribbon cable.

I've googled for days, and I can't seem to find any individual ribbon wires with individual connectors on the end

What I really want is something like this:

Somebody made it using some kind of IDC crimping tool and special connectors. Does anywhere sell this kinda stuff individually?

Andrew

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
One solution would be to take the more common 2-conductor female-to-female 0.025" jumpers and connect them so that one of the connections is not used at one end or the other.

hgmjr

bumclouds

Joined May 18, 2008
Okay I came up with a solution - I found female-female cables with 1-position sockets on one end and a 8-position (2-row) socket on the other end. They were inside an old computer of mine and they were used to connect the mother board to some USB slots at the front of my case. I had to use a hack-saw to cut down the 8-position plug to a 6 position plug, but i mucked it up. So then I went to my local electronics store and bought a 10-position IDC socket (6 position IDC sockets are unbelievably rare) and had another hack at that and got it right.

You can also (apparently) make one from a computer's IDE cable. Follow the link below.

[url]www.hifi-remote.com/files/interfaces/6PinConnector.pdf[/URL]