How to connect the components on this board

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by CircuitMaker123, Jun 13, 2009.

1. CircuitMaker123

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    How do you use this type of PCB (how do you connect components in it) ?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    You solder the components into the board. Just so you know, the pads on these boards are not very heat tolerant. It does not take much heat to lift the pad off of the board.

hgmjr

3. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    I generally use the component leads to make the interconnections on the solder side. I save the excess leads I trim for jumpers on the component side. And only strip insulated wire where needed. I seldom use that style board, prefer the strip style, or the type with three holes per pad. Started etching my own PCBs about 3 years ago, and only use proto board when there are a lot of holes to drill, like for LED illuminators.

4. gotumal

Mar 24, 2008
    While connecting links, you should solder the link at both sides; since those pads are not connected unlike vias. I would prefer this board for small circuits.
    http://www.conrad-international.com/?article=527823

A clever designer would need no/less no. of links for small circuits.

5. CircuitMaker123

Jun 13, 2009
    I know I must connect the components somehow, I just don't know how to solder this connections to the components. I don't know if I first solder the component to the board and then solder the connecting piece of wire because I think that this will melt the solder used for the initial soldering making the component fall off; or if I solder the connection and the component to the board at the same time (if this is what I must do, please explain in detail how to do it, and if necessary please add pictures, or refer me to a website that explains how to do it).

Thanks

6. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    I use these boards all the time. The board is called "Perf-Board" or perforated experimenter's board. For example, you would bend the leads of a resistor, insert it into the hole, then bend/route the lead to the next component that you want to solder it to. Like gotumal said, use small, simple circuits on this type board (particularly if you have little experience). Draw out a grid or use graph paper and draw your component layout to make sure you have a minimum of jumper wires. i would advise you to test your circuit using a solderless breadboard first to ensure the circuit works. Heat sink semiconductor leads to prevent transistors and diodes from becoming damaged/destroyed from excessive heat. Before soldering on this type board, rub it lightly with fine steel wool to burnish the contacts, then rub a light coating of paste flux on them to ensure the solder will adhere to the copper pad with a minimum of heat. When you complete your circuit, take an old toothbrush and scrub the solder side lightly with isopropyl alcohol to remove any traces of flux. Let it dry before applying power.

7. CircuitMaker123

Jun 13, 2009
    How do I use and dispose of the Flux correctly?

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Rinse them in isopropyl alcohol.

Nowdays I like to draw them first, something new for me...

[​IMG]