How to connect rca grounding to stereo amp

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mgv43, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Mgv43

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Hello I'm totally new to all this but I've managed to part build a stereo soundbar just because of the very poor speakers that you commonly find on most flat screen televisions. I've used the following components:
    2.1 small chinese amp
    Pair of Ariston 4 inch midrange
    The problem I've encountered is when I've tried use twin RCA on the line in cable I'm confused as to how to ground it properly as I'm getting only the channel I connect the ground to outputting to the speakers. I don't want to use 3.5mm jack (with which there's no problem) as an input as I want more flexibility with what I can hook it up to as well as using an external bluetooth receiver to enable even more connectivity. I'm a little concerned if I connect the ground wire to the left and right at the same time I'll blow the amp.Help!

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Can you diagram your setup? I can't understand what you mean by "connect the ground to".

3. Mgv43

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Sorry no circuit diagram but basically there's a small cable that connects to the pcb to enable you to connect an audio source with three wires left,right and what Im assuming is a ground wire. I cut the end off a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack cable and connected those three wires to the corresponding ones to that small cable on the amp. Everything works fine this way until I tried to do the same with a stereo RCA socket as there's obviously the left and right RCA and then I have the third wire (ground?) which I can connect to either one of those but I'm only getting the channel I connect it to or nothing if I don't connect it at all.