How to check power supply

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dukeman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. dukeman

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Hi,
    I would appreciate if someone can show me where I can information on how to properly check a power supply. My power supply has neutral, line, floating ground, + and - connections. How should I make connections to find out whether it is good or bad with a dmm?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dukeman

2. bug13

Feb 13, 2012
    My first thought: read the manual

+ and - is a good bet, neutral and line looks like something need to be caution with.

3. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    on the output side of the power supply choose a diode,connect your dmm to its cathode (red lead) and your black lead to any ground on the seconday side and set your meter to read voltage (select a high range voltage wise and work your way down-if your meter is auto ranging you dont need to do this)
    If its a smps and you are using the primary side ground to check secondary voltages you wont get a meaningful reading.dont connect any test equipment(scope etc)which requires a mains earth connection without use of an isolation transformer or there will be a bang

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    First.. question if this is really something you should really be doing.

Assuming this is a regular AC to DC converter, then line and neutral are the "AC" input side, + and - are the "DC" output side. Put a cord/plug on the AC and measure the DC with your meter.

5. MKCheruvu

Nov 20, 2012
    Conclued on Data like: the Expected Supply Voltage-(min/Max) and Current(max) it can deliver.
    What do you want to check on the power supply. : Just OK/not ok
    or Specifications.