how to check igbt or mosfet ?

kittoo

Joined Jul 11, 2016
how to check a igbt or mosfet devices.when they are connected to the inverter stack (or) any other driver circuit. without disturbing the circuit?

kittoo

Joined Jul 11, 2016
hai sir
thanks for your reply
The components which he is testing are not connected to any circuit.
My question : let us take any example like 3phase full bridge converter,in that circuit you will have six igbt\mosfet's .
without removing the igbt ,how to check the igbt is working?

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I am perplexed by your post.

Is the device isolated and out of circuit?

Is the devise mounted in a circuit?

Does the device have power applied?

Does the device power a motor?

Pick one.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
how to check a igbt or mosfet devices.when they are connected to the inverter stack (or) any other driver circuit. without disturbing the circuit?
I would advise against relying on in circuit testing.

You can test by isolating 2 of the 3 pins, usually most convenient with bolted on power devices.

From drain to source - any leakage whatsoever is a fail, but make sure the gate capacitance is discharged. In fact a slight revision to the procedure - isolate only the drain first and check for leakage, either its leaky or the gate drive circuit is faulty.

Isolate the gate and charge the gate capacitance with a continuity tester - the MOSFET should turn on and stay on until you discharge the gate - if it leaks away; that's another fault mode.

Regular power MOSFETs need about 8V to turn on, the maximum rating can be as low as 15V, so a tester with 12V internal source is usually safe. Some special types like RF can be only a few volts - so don't wade into those without checking the datasheets.