how to check a pulse transformer ratings?

htcompany

Joined Feb 3, 2016
hello,
i have smps with o/p of 5.7 vdc (i/p : 230 vac). this smps is having a pulse transformer as isolation. since transformer ratings are not provided, i want to determine the ratings. How can i check or determine those ratings of pulse transformer ? please kindly reply.......here , an image is also uploaded.

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you can locate one or build one you can test the transformer with a hi-pot tester. A hi-pot tester is an adjustable low power, high voltage power supply with a voltmeter and a current measurement means. Just crank up the voltage to the test voltage you want and let it sit there for a while and watch the current meter to see how much leakage you get.

It is probably not a good idea to test to failure if you think you might use the part after the test because the arc might leave conductive trail that will reduce breakdown voltage in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipot

Even better than finding or making a hi-pot tester is to ask the transformer manufacturer. The manufacturer should have done extensive testing of the design.