how to charge 11.1v 4,4ah li-ion battery

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by piranha3380, Jan 26, 2014.

1. piranha3380

Thread Starter Member

May 28, 2013
    heya guys i have a question about an old laptop battery i whant to use in a project, as stated its 11.1 volt whit 6 cells into 3 stages serie/paralel,

how whould i charge this pack up ? can it be done by a simple wall wart or dos it require regulators and other stuf i dont have ? :D

anyway every helpfull comment about how to safe charge this pack whould be welcome

thx in advance

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I have not tried to charge a lap top battery separately but I think you can by applying proper voltage at it's Vcc and ground.

The battery has a balancing circuit inbuilt and MOSFET's to switch on and off supplying the necessary low voltages to the laptop. Mostly these pins are not used while charging.

But I could be wrong

3. piranha3380

Thread Starter Member

May 28, 2013
    whel problem being i only got the cells :) so i goda find a way to charge cells directly,

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Be VERY carefull when charging Li-ion cells.
    Overheating can set them to fire.

In the following PDF (from page 11 and on) you will find information on the charging of Li-ion cells:
    http://educypedia.karadimov.info/library/f7.pdf

Bertus

5. piranha3380

Thread Starter Member

May 28, 2013
    thx alot :) i know they are dangerous thats why i didnt want to just ''try'' something,

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Better buy one from ebay or china

7. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Unless the battery pack has protection circuitry inside (most do for safety reasons).