How to change stuck soldering iron tip

ColinSeggie

Joined Feb 20, 2014
Hi Guys , I'm now 6 months into actually taking electronics seriously and learning all the time!
I bought my first proper solder station 4 months ago: MAGNUM 2000 with a 1000 iron . I have been tinkering with 555's and making my own projects and PC boards-- kids stuff--
I realise-- But I WILL get there:)
I came to change the tip of my pride and joy two hrs ago. @$%^ for the life of me everything is rusted up. I'm afraid I'm going really %^%$$@@
things up if I try Harder:eek:
I will probably have to let it stand over night in a Q20 type releasing oil!
Any tips for me : How to fix the problem:(
How to prevent the problem in future?
Direct me to a good DVD on caring for you solder station etc etc:confused:
Thanks in advance
Colin

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
We've all had that happen, usually with the lower end devices (sorry, not a ding at you, just some inspiration, you get what you pay for).

What I do it *try* to remember before each use to unscrew and re-screw the tip just to keep it loose for the inevitable day I need to replace it.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
de-oxit works pretty good for removing rust. just make sure if you use any liquid rust remover to get the iron COMPLETELY DRY before reassembly. the stuff will boil and might go boom when it gts up to temp.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi Guys , I'm now 6 months into actually taking electronics seriously and learning all the time!
I bought my first proper solder station 4 months ago: MAGNUM 2000 with a 1000 iron . I have been tinkering with 555's and making my own projects and PC boards-- kids stuff--
I realise-- But I WILL get there:)
I came to change the tip of my pride and joy two hrs ago. @$%^ for the life of me everything is rusted up. I'm afraid I'm going really %^%$$@@
things up if I try Harder:eek:
I will probably have to let it stand over night in a Q20 type releasing oil!
Any tips for me : How to fix the problem:(
How to prevent the problem in future?
Direct me to a good DVD on caring for you solder station etc etc:confused:
Thanks in advance
Colin
Not familiar with your make/model, but I've had some success with various irons by applying a light smear of regular white heatsink paste when fitting a new tip.

Probably best not to fill all the voids by over-applying - soldering iron temperatures drive out the silicon grease and the oxide filler sets like cement, but a thin smear helps stop things sticking fast.