How to calculate filter Capacitor for 24VDC 6.5A rectifier.

Pravinbs

Joined Mar 12, 2014
Hi,

I want to use 24VDC supply to brake application whose current is 6.5A. I considered transformer of 415/18VAC & diode bridge mono block of 12A.
pl. suggest how to find out the filter capacitor value which i use in output of bridge rectifier.
also is it ok if i use diode rectifier or i need to use selenium rectifier for brake.

Regards
Pravin

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Silicon diode bridge - yes.
Selenium rectifiers - no.

After the bridge you will just barely have 24VDC at the peaks of the rectified sine wave. Capacitor size depends on how much ripple your brake device (solenoid?) can handle before it starts to lose some of its gripping power.

The official equation for this has an exponential in it. If you don't want to deal with that, here is a first order approximation that is good enough to give you a feel for the capacitor size:

C (filter capacitor) = i (load current) x t (period of the rectified AC) x 1,000,000 (conversion from farads to uF) / E (ripple voltage)

So for you, assuming 50 Hz AC:

C = 6.5 x .01 x 1000000 / your ripple voltage

If you think your brake can stand 4 volts of ripple, the capacitor is 16,250 uF.

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Capacitors are rarely ever used or needed for Brake and clutch applications, the Collapsing field in conjunction with a reverse diode is usually sufficiently large to carry the armature through the zero transition time.
Max.

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi,

I want to use 24VDC supply to brake application whose current is 6.5A. I considered transformer of 415/18VAC & diode bridge mono block of 12A.
pl. suggest how to find out the filter capacitor value which i use in output of bridge rectifier.
also is it ok if i use diode rectifier or i need to use selenium rectifier for brake.

Regards
Pravin
The diode bridge will need some serious heatsinking. It will probably be dissipating 15 - 20W.

The capacitor is easily calculated:

I = C dV/dt

I is the current which is 6.5A, dt is .0083 because the rectifier ripple will be 120 Hz (if the AC power is 60 Hz), so you can calculate the "C" if you put in the allowable ripple voltage on the cap.....

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's a handy rule of thumb, but can you reconcile it with the calculation from AnalogKid, that shows a 4 volt ripple (out of 24V) with >2A per 1000µF?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I agree with Max. No capacitor needed. It will only lead to switching problems.

Selenium is better but hard/costly to source.

The last ones that I needed were for a generators rotary exciter. They were >$800 each.:eek: And I needed 4.
They were in the circuit just to protect the silicon.

I found the original manufacturer in Canada.:) "ICTPOWER"

The brake circuit transformer is powered from motor leads. With secondary circuit thru a contactor to insure dropout during coast.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I haven't seen Selenium for some years now, one down side to them is the larger volt drop, not to mention the smell when they blow.:eek:
On larger coils the drop out time is often visible when a BEMF diode is used, in some case it can cause a problem due to the delay.
So if it can be visible, the effect of voltage supply drop to zero every 120th/sec will be a non-issue.
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013

Not something I do every day.:eek:

"Dave, As per our phone conversation, we respond as follows to your RFQ:
Selenium Suppressor, 4” x 4”, 8 plates … 4 each $ 995 each"

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We have at least 2 antiques running today. Don't miss magnet's "300V DC supply" in Chat. It's nothing less than beautiful.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
That's a handy rule of thumb, but can you reconcile it with the calculation from AnalogKid, that shows a 4 volt ripple (out of 24V) with >2A per 1000µF?
Well, I think that if you put 4 volts of 120 Hz across a speaker, you'd hear it. Isn't that "audio"?

ak

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Sorry, I screwed up the question. AnalogKid's example shows a 4V ripple using 2500µF per amp of current. That's a lot more capacitance than your rule of thumb but it's still producing, as you noted, a very large ripple.