How To Build Hardware Downloader For PIC?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by nurul mia, Sep 19, 2013.

1. nurul mia

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Hye everyone..

I've learnt basic things for beginners like how to show words in 2x16 lcd display, LED glows, and switches... And i wanna have my own hardware programmer.. Can anyone please show/tell me how to do it? Please help me? Your reply mean alot to me.. Thnx in advance :)

2. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    To run off what input?

3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Do NOT try to build a programmer.

Do go out and buy a PICkit.

Do NOT buy a clone. Get one made by Microchip.

I would suggest to get version III. Version II works very well but not with the newest devices.

nurul mia likes this.
  4. nurul mia

Sep 19, 2013
    To run off every input of my programs.. I use pic16f877a.. I am still new to pic though... Basically i use microc pro as my compiler n download it by using pickit 2 which is hardware downloader.. (please correct me if im wrong)

5. nurul mia

Sep 19, 2013
    Version three same like version two isn't it? Except for the newest device part that u mentioned earlier.... Sorry if im wrong... thnx a lot for ur advices :)

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I am still using version 2 and so far for all the 16F & 18F I have used it has been OK, I guess if I run into problems I will upgrade then.
    Max.

nurul mia likes this.
  7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    @Nurul! For your current PIC it will not have much to say if you have a PICKIT 2 or 3. Your PICKIT 2 may be used to download the hex file created by MicroC. I do not know MicroC much. Are you running it from MPLAB or something else

8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Yes they are very similar, though II can do a few things that III can't, like act as a 3 bit logic input; I have never used these other functions so I forget what they are. The III it is a bit more expensive so if you have a small budget the II will server you fine, as long as you stick to the devices it can work with. That's why when starting new I would recommend the III by a slight edge to prevent the day when you need to buy ANOTHER programmer to use the latest chips.

One of the HUGE advantage of using either PICkit is if you leave the in-circuit programming pins connected you can also use the PICkitto debug your code. It actually monitors the code running inside the PIC and can stop and check variables, even single step thru your program line by line.

Your questions are great! Keep them coming till you are confident in what you are doing before you buy the wrong thing.

nurul mia likes this.
  9. nurul mia

Sep 19, 2013
    I too use pickit 2 because almost all of my friend use it.. But i will try to use pickit 3 though... At least i can explore something new.. :D

10. nurul mia

Sep 19, 2013
    To be honest... I never use MPLAB.. I just use Microc pro to debug my code and Pickit 2 to download my hex file..

11. nurul mia

Sep 19, 2013
    Owhh i see... How do i want to debug my code using pickit? I only knw how to import hex file... Didnt knw bout debug... thats a new thing for me though :D thnx!!