How to build a box for a project?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by sn4k3, Dec 11, 2015.

1. sn4k3

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Hi,

My project is almost finished, and i want to build some clones to sell.
    Making the PCB is easy, there are tons of sites that we can order PCBs, all they need is the files generated by Eagle and some info.
    But i always had a question: Where to order a box to put the pcb and all the electronics?
    I'm building a wall clock, something like 20cm x 20cm, i need glass in front (visor), material can be metal, wood, other.
    I know about 3d printing, but is expensive and is all plastic, and i need a good design. Beside that i need some holes on the box for fit the power jack, button, some sensors etc.

Anyone with experience in this area?
    Also my project is open source if someone want contribute or build a cad model it will be awesome.
    Thanks

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    The main electronic products suppliers (Farnell, Digikey, Mouser etc) sell project boxes in various sizes. Have you looked?

3. sn4k3

Sep 6, 2015
    They are generic or can be customized?

4. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Draw a model of your box, and show it to companies who work with wood. Perhaps a furniture carpenter. Send the drawing to other companies as well. Metalworkers or companies specializing in plastic.

5. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    Bud, Hammond, Serpac, Pac-Tek and many others make electronic enclosures, both in plastic and in metal. Most have a huge selection to choose from. Generally, they are supplied "blank" with no holes or access openings; those you have to drill, route or cut yourself. Start by looking here.

6. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    I like these guys and have used their enclosures. They also do milling/cutouts and silk screening for their boxes.

http://www.polycase.com/

7. sn4k3

Sep 6, 2015
    Thanks all for the tips.
    I will check them all.