how to build a 2 phase generator

Trevader24135

Joined Nov 7, 2015
I know that 2 phase generators aren't nearly as good as 3 phase, but as a project for history, we have to learn just about anything about US history, and do some kind of project for it. I decided I wanted to build a generator similar in design to the one Nikola Tesla designed for niagra falls. I've looked around and I can't seem to find anything on how to build a 2 phase generator. I want it to be decently small (maybe just over shoe box size). I know how to build a single phase, and understand the concept of 3 phase, but how would I hook up the generators 2 separate coil groups to something like an LED lets say(of course, for powering an LED I'll need to use a bridge rectifier). so do any of you have any ideas/plans on how to build one for decently cheap? (less than 20$) pictures would be great too!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The simplest way is to take a common single phase generator and add a second equally sized set of windings 90 degrees to the original set which with most smaller single phase units that have a brush commutated rotor there is lots of room to add the second coil sets.