How to block off the day light

oookey

Joined May 24, 2010
Hi all :p, Happy New Year!

I want to make a IR receiver by using phototransistor, however if I simply hook up as the circuit shown in the image 1, the photo transistor will ON by the day light or bright light, hence the o/p of the op amp would always hi.

Is there a simple way to block the unwanted light allowing only the IR signal?

If I add a capacitor (as hi-pass filter) as shown image 2, will it work? Or a RC-tank is best way out?

Thanks
oookey

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Use an IR filter (perhaps from an old TV etc remote control).
IR for remotes is usually pulse modulated at ~38kHz so that steady light (daylight) and other spurious sources can be rejected.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
You can try many things .
1) Make your circuit less sensitive
2) Make your IR source abit more powerfull
3) Put an optical filter

And if all those aren't enough well then you will have to use modulation

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A really simple way to make a IR beam-break detector that operates in bright sunlight over distances of several meters is to get a set of garage door safety beam transmitter and receiver, like these. I recently bought a set at Habitat for Humanity Thrift store for $1. It takes a small external circuit to activate a relay when the beam is broken.

Here is the circuit.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Use an IR filter (perhaps from an old TV etc remote control).
IR for remotes is usually pulse modulated at ~38kHz so that steady light (daylight) and other spurious sources can be rejected.
A decade or so ago, there were plenty of scrap TVs left out for kerbside collection that had photo diodes with integral moulded IR filter. these days they have a single integrated IR receiver with a 38kHz passband.

A possible source of IR pass filtered opto sensor is the Dettol no-touch hand cleanser dispenser. They're about £12 in most supermarkets, but one or two discount stores have been offering them 2 for £5 - cheaper than buying a gel refill.

They also contain a 6V motor, a sub miniature microswitch and a 2A to92 transistor, so at the discount store price you pretty much get your moneys worth.