how to amplify 3v to 14v?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kpanacleto, Aug 7, 2010.

1. kpanacleto

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    hello everyone,

Im working on a project but i have encountered a problem.

I need to boost 3v DC to 12v DC in order for me to be able to operate a 12v DC motor.

I thought of making a 12v power supply and connect it to a relay and the motor. making the 3v DC to trigger the relay.

the problem is. I couldn't find a relay that operates at 3V.. can anyone help me?
    i also need to boost 1V DC to 6V DC.

is there any alternative circuit that would substitute a relay?:confused:

2. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    This is your only option.

Use Google and find yourself a relay with a 3V coil.
  3. K-Young

Aug 22, 2009
    You can always use a solid state relay if you can't find one with a coil mechanism.
  4. k7elp60

Nov 4, 2008
    It is possible to boost the 3V to 12 to run the relay, but it would be easier to use a 12V power supply to run the motor and the relay. You can use a simple transistor circuit on 3V or even 1V signal with a transistor to turn on the 12V relay. If you know the current requirement of the motor this forum can help you choose a relay to turn on the 12V motor. Many forum members can draw you a diagram to use a transistor to control the relay.
  5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    3.3V coil relays do exist, but they either have very low amperage contacts or draw a lot of power to energize the coil.

I agree with the above, just a simple transistor and don't forget the diode across the relay coil.