How to Advance as Electrical Engineer

RG23

Joined Dec 6, 2010
Its been three years I am working as Electrical Engineer.

I have mainly programmed the PIC microcontrollers PIC 18f, 16f, 12f interfaced graphic displays.

But still I feel incomplete as an Electrical Enigneer when it comes to designing circuits, troubleshooting

How should I improve myself?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I suggest by working with circuits.

Maybe at first use a schematic, but then make modifications. Try to understand about it.

And try own designs. They may not always work well, but you can make observations.

Try out all sort of ICs, and components.

It might become quite expensive, and you need space as well for inventory.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
What is your educational background? Where do you work (industry type, job type, natural progression path)? What skills do you have?
Maybe with these answers we might be able to help.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I felt a lot like you 12 months or so ago.

I was in an interview to design analogue electronics for a investment firm. I really wanted the job, but I got into the interview and realized I didn't know a whole lot. Even though I had done a lot of analysis and things they were looking for, I realized I was slow at things they wanted me to do quickly. I realized I didn't have the skills many people were looking for. I didn't know simple things about my trade.

Since then I've spent time outside of work just learning - starting with things that interest me. I started by buying a book about audio amplifiers so that I understood how they work - down to the details. My interests have led to being involved in this website and watching a couple of other sites mostly for fun and information. I've also discovered my interest in old electronics (pre mid-60's), as those guys LIVED analogue design. I also have a couple projects that I'm working on.

So my advice is to live your occupation. Day and night. Build a home lab where you answer some of your own questions. Become an expert! Answer questions that interest you! This does a couple of different things - you end up designing things of your own, you could possibly even sell those things, you end up building a home lab, you end up learning the details of your lab, you end up finding things about your profession that interest you!

There is rarely a time I'm driving somewhere that I'm not either thinking about work or thinking about what I'm designing at home. Some days it's a blessing - other days, a curse.

Try answering some peoples questions here. You will probably get some answers 'wrong' from time to time, but you'll learn something from the more experienced engineers around here or a new way to think about the same problem you've looked at 1000 times.

Meh - more of Tindel's ramblings.