how strong should a hydrogen cell be?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes, but there are proviso's. A H2 molecule is very small, it will pass through fittings and valves that would restrain a larger propane molecule, so your tank will leak a little (probably not enough to be dangerous) where if it were propane take would be tight.

This is why a helium balloon deflates much quicker than one filled with air, the rubber outgasses.

This is also a problem with other processes. Metal and other materials can actually absorb various gasses, as the molecules work their way into microscopic cracks and crevasses, into the grain of the metal itself. When pumping down a high vacuum system it can take a while for the the materials to release the gasses they have absorbed.

This has been one of the core problems with hydrogen from day one.

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
I like that saying. good enough is enemies best.
My dads always saying its good enough. I Hate it lol

so if C02 can be housed in aluminum and proprane in a heavy tank and helium in a light tank and Air in a super strong tank.
Which would be best suited?
I have a helium tank.
Would that be rated to take hydrogen?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Where would you be getting this hydrogen? If your thinking enough of it will be produced by electrolysis it won't happen. For one thing hydrogen isn't the only gas given off by electrolysis, oxygen is too. The mixture of hydrogen and oxygen in the gas form is a bomb. Also HHO is a disallowed topic on this forum.

If your buying hydrogen it will come already in its own tank.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Tank rating depends on your desired pressure; " we" used a Coke bottle. & H & O can be produced independlently by electrolyis.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember reading in some physorg.com articles where there are some new processes to create hydrogen are coming down the line. Basically it is like propane, only a storage mechanism instead of drilled.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I remember reading in some physorg.com articles where there are some new processes to create hydrogen are coming down the line. Basically it is like propane, only a storage mechanism instead of drilled.
I've posted this in the past;

In many parts of the world they employ a process generally termed 'coalbed gassification'. This is a process where they drill into a coal seam, ignite and oxyginate to create a localized blast furnace, then pump water into the zone. The high temps 'crack' the water. The oxygen is consumed in the reaction and the residual hydrogen pulled off is called 'syn gas'. To date, the hydrogen gas is typically directed to onsite generators to provide heat/electicity to run the extraction operations. The beauty of the process is that the byproducts remain trapped underground.

Interestingly, the process that produces an eco friendly fuel is under attack by enviromentalists because the process consumes great quantities of water.

The question to the OP remains as previously posted, what pressure are you intending to contain the gas??