How should I get started with Android Development?

panpan

Joined Aug 15, 2013
I am interested in trying some Android Development and I've not had much luck getting started. I'm not much of a Linux person but I have an Ubuntu box setup that I attempted to install the Android SDK and plugins for Eclipse. But I'm not having much luck getting it setup.
I'm looking for some guidance for what would be the best way for me to do this.
  • Should I use a different Linux distro?
  • Is Eclipse the wrong way to go?
  • I was hoping this was a way for me to get some Linux exposure too, so I don't even know if there is a way to accomplish this in Windows, but I'm sure someone else would be interested to know that info.
I have looked at the instructions at Google, but everything I read assumes a prior knowledge of Linux, Eclipse or both. There also doesn't seem to be much troubleshooting help.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Android is Linux based, but I would not consider it a Linux environment. Android is a core OS for a phone or tablet.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Same as tshuck, I had no issues getting going on windows. Basically just follow the instructions, download the Android SDK, download Eclipse and get programming. there is even a simple phone emulator so you can start without even connecting a phone.

Android might be linux based but the development is in Java (or actually a java-alike language) hence Eclipse is a good tool to use.

What specific issues are you having? Can you start Eclipse? Can you see a connected phone?