How old are ya..

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I crawled out from under a rock 52 years ago.

One of my earliest fascinations was with aircraft. I don't know if it was due to a trip to the airport, dreams, or whatever - I had to get involved, somehow. My Dad humored me, and built a plane "hobby horse" for me when I was around 4 years old, made of a 2x4, with 3/8" plywood wings, rudder, and elevator assembly. All was rigid, of course - but I had dreams of putting a lawnmower engine on it with a propeller....

My first electrical experiments that I can remember involved magnatism; many turns of insulated wire around a large nail, powered by a doorbell battery. A doorbell battery was a huge thing compared to today's batteries; a single cylindrical cell rated 1.5v, perhaps 2.5" diameter and 10" tall. I haven't seen one like that for many years now, so my dimensions may be skewed quite a bit; I haven't seen one in perhaps 45 years.

Anyway, I didn't understand how electromagnetism worked; the insulated wire mystified me. I thought it would work much better if the current could actually get to the nail, so I stripped off about a foot of insulation from the wire and wrapped it around the nail. I was quite surprised when the nail started getting hot due to the current flowing through it.

I kept tinkering with electronics, mechanics, fluidics, hydraulics, target shooting, skiing, sailing, and dreaming about airplanes.

Got an offer from a US Marine Recruiter to enlist as a helicopter mechanic.
I accepted.

After Boot Camp, reporting to training at NAS Memphis, I got an offer to switch to avionics. I accepted ;)

Here I'm working on the aft missile station of one of the Warlord's birds in '76:

Just for fun, took this pic a few years back:

For you blokes in the UK, that's an '88 XJ-S with full petrol, caravan accessory attachment, buttoned bonnet, hood aft, boot secured ammo/weapons high-speed carrier. ;)

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
25!!! Hobbiest since about 15, three years training as an electronics engineering technologist, nearly finished my electrical engineering degree :)

If I could tell myself something about electronics at 15, I would say "Be thorough, don't skimp on the details, and go to math class!!!"

Steve

Kutan

Joined Feb 3, 2008
I'm 16 years old and I just started reading the first AAC volume less than a week ago.. Although I've been obsessed with science for quite a while, for some strange reason I never really got into electricity/physics and such- I'm glad I did. :p

uzair

Joined Dec 26, 2007
I am going to be 17 in march and i started to learn electronics when i was forced to do so (a year ago).But now, i am loving it.
I am a medical student.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
I've forgotten. But my initiation into radio was helping my father wind the basket-weave coils for the Popular Wireless 'Magic 3'. 3 tube - Tuned Rf-DET-OP.

mrmonteith

Joined Feb 18, 2008
I'm 46 and a high school friend of mine and I built all sorts of timer circuits at the age of 15. We used the timers to drive speakers at various frequencies, sometimes to annoy people or just show off. We made buzzers to drive circuits that would give you a little tingle. Mostly it was tinkering with small ICs to do various things and learn electronics. I worked at one company that made the nightvision goggles the helicopter pilots wear. Our group made the test equipment to put the photomultiplier tubes that are used in the goggles through their paces. So I was able to play with all sorts of circuits from digital, to high voltage, driving lasers, etc. We even breadboarded and designed our own circuit boards. I missed those days. But in the past few months picking that idea back up and using my electronics/programming/circuitry ideas and using them for my rocketry hobby. Currently playing around with PIC microcontrollers and getting used to them.

Michael

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
just a simple topic.. post how old are ya and how many years are you with electronics..
I'm going to start
I'm 15 and got like 5 month on electronics (started with the online AAC tutorial).

how about you guys?

Yoda
I am 21 and i started studying electronics when i was 15. I started with BJT's.

mrmonteith

Joined Feb 18, 2008
I'm 45 and been into electronics since I was 15. So 30 years. It was not always steady. I've worked with computers and left the electronics field, but it was in my blood. Now I'm getting back into it with rocketry and building some circuits again.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am 48.
I started electronics when I got some parts from mij dad when I was about 8 years old.
It was to buit a crystal-radio.
After that I got the kits from Philips, and so on.

Greetings,
Bertus

Dionisisx

Joined Apr 22, 2008
Hello to everyone !

It's my first post here, i find this form the All About Circuits Tutorials !So, i am 29 years old and i started studing electronics 1 year ago ( i just complete the 1st form 3 years Bachelor at Bangor Univercity)! I am in IT 10 years now and i want to make a turn!So i try to playing around with PIC and AVR microcontrollers to be familiar with them. :)

mabsj2

Joined Apr 24, 2008
i am 18 but i am turning 19 next week.
i just joined the site today and i am feeling it. i am not sure about my experience with Electronics but it goes back since i was a kid

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
i am 18 but i am turning 19 next week.
i just joined the site today and i am feeling it. i am not sure about my experience with Electronics but it goes back since i was a kid
I'm 67. I regret to inform you that you are still a kid.:D

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Ron, when you first replied in this thread several months back you were 66 - Happy Birthday for the "missed" Birthday! :D

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I'm really only 27. I just like to lie about my age.:D

Just kidding. I am a certified geezer. My BD was on March 10. You can wish me Happy Birthday on time next year!:)