How much power takes to faintly light up a fluorescent tube ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Externet, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Externet

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Hi.
    Say a 40 Watt-rated plain fluorescent tube.
    Say it is faintly lit. What is your guess; would it take 1 Watt ? Half a Watt ? Less than that ?

----> http://www.richardbox.com/field.htm
    ---->{www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxzSZ78cM-4}
    ---->{www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdoxWfPDTso}

How would you store that energy in a battery ? Just an antenna to a diode (or bridge) into battery and ground rod to the other battery terminal ?

Antenna-----------------------------------------|>|-------(+)BAT(-)---------GND

Am not interested in legalese.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Doesn't take much to make a fluorescent tube glow, you can do it by holding the glass in your hand and bring it near to a HV source, (high impedance source for safety).
    An old circus trick.
    Max.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  3. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Qualitatively speaking, very little!:cool:

Not much point in attempting to 'harvest' the energy unless you live under a 'high-tension' 'shipping' line -- in which case good luck convincing the POCO that your apparatus captures only energy that would be lost otherwise... :D:D:D

Best Regards
    HP

4. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Indeed! I used that 'trick' to illuminate a 2 mile stretch of (320kV) 'right of way' across my property (via ca. 2400 discarded 96" tubes standing vertically on the ground beneath the 'phases') --- NSP demanded I remove them on the basis that their presence was tantamount to "in transit theft of service" and, hence, 'piracy' (of the Capt. Kidd 'variety') --- They were unsympathetic to the fact that the tubes were only loosely electrostatically coupled to their line and, hence, represented no 'above background' loss to their facilities...--- Anyway, to cut to the chase, I eventually capitulated on the basis that they could very likely afford craftier barristers than I:( --- Odd how readily they disclaim ownership of that stray field when same is accused of inciting neurological lesions!:confused::D

Nostalgically
    HP

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Although the Jury is still out on that one.:rolleyes:
    At that time, the establishment of the Royal Navy was still in its infancy so there was often still a grey area if you were a Pirate or actually a Privateer.
    It could change from month to month (or week to week) depending on the speed of dispatches.
    (see History of the Caribbean, incl Spanish America)
    Max.

But no fluorescents back then.:)

cmartinez and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  6. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Golly!:D --- Seems I'll need to find another archetype of a 'high seas pirate' ----'Twouldn't be necessary but for the (bizarre) metamorphosis to the word's 'contemporary' meaning of "one who makes unauthorized reproductions of intellectual property":rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up!:):):)
    HP

7. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Back then the concept of the "legality" of some actions all depended on the nation whose interests where at stake... (read: England vs Spain). I'd say that was history's first Cold War.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I must say my knowledge of the Spanish/Mexico side of history was lacking, including significance of Cinco de Mayo, but on a visit some years ago I learned quite a bit from Mayan, Spanish and Britain/France involvement.
    I particularly remember one historical report when at the time of the Spanish conquest, the Pope at the time issued a Papal Bull which drew a line down the east side of S.America. declaring that no nation other than Spain could cross it (read Gold)!.
    Of course, the British,Dutch and French promptly ignored it.
    Max.