How much is this motor worth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by electronicsguy1995, Jun 22, 2011.

1. electronicsguy1995

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Thought I'd post this is the off-topic forum even though it has to do with electronics, but it has to do with selling something. I recently acquired one of these 3-phase motors from someone and have no idea how much to sell it for. I'd love to play around with it but don't have any way to supply 3-phase power. Anyways, thought the next best thing would be to sell it. Here are the specs:

Type: 3-Phase Induction
    HP: 1/4 HP @ 200W
    Volts: 220 or 240V
    Hz: 60
    Current: 1.2 A
    RPM: 1720

It's also got a reduction gear on it 20:1.

Note that I am not trying to sell it on here I just have been to this site before and read a lot of the tutorials and thought it would be a great place to ask people. I know more about digital stuff than I do power electronic related stuff.
  2. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    they run $72-320 on the google shoping page i saw with amozon at $214.
    (i just used the horse power and phase to get these results)
    i say 100-125 if used and 180ish new

if you want to try and run it get some 12-10 AWG wire there should be a junction box on the motor that has the terminals labaled. 1 is for nutral the other 2 are for hot. conect the 2 hot wires to a breaker the nutral to a nutral bar in a fuse box. or if you have a 3 phase outlet conect it to the plug in the same way. a range outlet or an outlet on a generator would work.
    the folowing link has a pinout for a range outlet if it helps
  3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    This won't work for the OP's motor! His motor is three phase and that outlet is for single phase. A direct short circuit and the ruin of the motor at least and a possible injury will result from following your advice!
  4. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    absolutely bizarre that a post like this would remain.
  5. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    You cannot connect a 3 phase motor to any household power supply. Stove outlets are not 3 phase, neither are any other household circuits. Do not follow this advice.
  6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    There are ways to do it using AC capacitors to create phase shifts, but it is more of a Hack than anything. Not recommended unless you are desperate and have to use such a motor. However, if you can get the required AC capacitors, then you COULD get the needed single phase motor as well.

If you need to try, then Google running a 3phase motor on 1phase.
  7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    depends on the brand, duty rating, et. al. is it inverter duty? if so it's worth slightly more (more than what? i don't know, more than whatever it would be worth otherwise). It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. put it on ebay and find out.
  8. WellGrounded

Jun 19, 2011
    I am new to this forum, but definitely the "2 phase" connection to a 3 phase motor should have been screened by the administrators(assuming posts are screened - to get rid of the nut bars and electronics wannabes) and eliminated and a PM sent to the poster of a thread informing them of the possible danger of their reply.

There is only some leeway than can be given in a forum, but serious flawed logic that can be a health danger should not be posted.

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    See the [​IMG]?

That is what it is for. You can flag the post for safety, then it becomes the moderators call.