How much do you pay for fuel?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I don't want this to become a debate about fuel, where it comes from, the evils of oil, or anything political of deep.

I'm just curious to know how much you guys around the world pay for fuel (gas, petrol, diesel, LRP) to fill up your cars?

We're ripped off big time in the UK - depending on where you are you might be paying between £1.10-£1.30 a litre - yes you read that right! Diesel is more expensive than petrol by about 10p.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
$3.51 as of yesterday, but I have seen a high of $3.89 on the same day. This being North Dallas. Never did hit $4 here, but sure came close.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Regular gas was $3.87/gal. here this morning at my usual gas station (in Monroe, WA, USA). The highest it got to at this station was $4.27, I believe.

The $3.87 price works out to approximately 826.025 zloty/hogshead for all of you who are unfamiliar with US weights and measures.;)
Mark

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Currently using E85 in a flex-fuel GMC Sonoma. Last fillup was 3.09 / Gal. Prices are dropping locally, saw a station today w/ regular @ 3.64

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Although I'm not surprised to see the UK as more expensive than everywhere else so far (no surprise there :rolleyes:), I'm surprised by the cost in the states - I was always under the impression that you guys had it much cheaper than us - the different appears to be between $1-2 per gallon.

Also seems the prices have held up well on the continent.

Btw, if you are wondering why fuel cost so much here in the UK, it is because ~70% of it is tax.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Using values of $3.60/gal and 1.2 GBP/L, I get 4.54 GBP /gal (that is, American gallon of 3.785 L). Considering an exchange rate of 0.536 $/GBP, gasoline in the UK is about $8.47 per gallon.

As you point out, since the raw material costs the same, taxes are the major cause.

I have always felt that another factor is the psychology of pricing it by the liter instead of gallon. People generally react to an increased cost based on the "amount" in dollars or GBP, not the percentage.* So a tax of say $0.50 per liter is more palatable than saying $1.90 per gallon.

John

*Based on personal experience, most Americans barely know what percentage means, much less are they able to calculate it. :D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Using values of $3.60/gal and 1.2 GBP/L, I get 4.54 GBP /gal (that is, American gallon of 3.785 L). Considering an exchange rate of 0.536 $/GBP, gasoline in the UK is about $8.47 per gallon.
My bad John, I massively overvalued the $/£ exchange rate (better check next time, hadn't I!).

You actually blow my previous assessment out of the water - we are ripped off in the UK!

As you point out, since the raw material costs the same, taxes are the major cause.

I have always felt that another factor is the psychology of pricing it by the liter instead of gallon. People generally react to an increased cost based on the "amount" in dollars or GBP, not the percentage.* So a tax of say $0.50 per liter is more palatable than saying $1.90 per gallon.

John

*Based on personal experience, most Americans barely know what percentage means, much less are they able to calculate it. :D
You are right about the psychology of it. I recall when, in that last year, the cost went above £1 per litre. The petrol station forecourts have the cost-signs which were generally only geared for costings of 99.9p per litre. When the price went above £1 per litre the costing signs all acquired a makeshift board with the leading 1. Even though the price increases were no different from what had been happening for the last few months or so, there was certainly a psychological element to price tipping £1 and the media made a major deal out of it.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As was mentioned earlier, it also has a lot to do with driving distances. Texas is an extreme case, but there are a lot of larger western states. It is probably not a coincidence that gas is (usually) cheaper where the driving distances are longest. A trip to Tanner's is more than 50 miles (120KM?) both ways, so I only wait until I really need something to make the exodus, usually around once a month.

I would love a short range fuel efficient vehicle, but whatever that is and whatever it uses, it HAS to have air conditioning. We may not be the hotest place on earth, but we loose our share of folks every year to heat.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
As was mentioned earlier, it also has a lot to do with driving distances. Texas is an extreme case, but there are a lot of larger western states. It is probably not a coincidence that gas is (usually) cheaper where the driving distances are longest. A trip to Tanner's is more than 50 miles (120KM?) both ways, so I only wait until I really need something to make the exodus, usually around once a month.
I would agree with that, although I suspect you guys wouldn't accept the tax levels on fuel that we have, probably for the reasons you state.

The UK is a high-tax culture, for example a 20-pack of cigarettes is over £5 (I don't smoke so I can't give you a definitive price but it is over £5), a pint of beer is typically £2.50. How does that compare to you guys? Prices vary considerably across the country, for instance it is more expensive in the south than the north.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hey Bill, look at the Honda Fit. Mine is the basic model with an automatic, and gets better than published mileage (we are logging again to check). So far, it gets 39.4 locally and 43.6 on the interstate.

You have room for 4 adults plus groceries. The worst I can say about it is that it blows around a bit in the wind.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'm surprised by the cost in the states - I was always under the impression that you guys had it much cheaper than us
Such used to be the case, but no longer is. Price per gallon has gone up a couple dollars over the past couple years. Simultaneously, the dollar has taken a nose dive on the international exchange.

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
Wait, Dave, are you saying that, if I calculated correctly you are paying almost 9 dollars for diesel? our plus is 3.49-3.59USD diesel is 3.79/gallon which is about roughly .5GBP/liter