How many times have you said you were an Electrical Engineer and ...

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
people still can't tell the difference between electrician and electrical and electronics engineering? I hate it haha! They're like "You're going to university for 4 years just to wire a house?" *sigh*

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A electrical engineer designs the whole electrical system for
a project,not just wiring building.He has to work with artitech
to do that.Has to be bonded and Insured and certificant to
prove It. Hired by general contractor,not a easy thing to do.
Has to convince code Dept who he Is.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
A lot of people seem to confuse mechanical engineer and mechanic too. Plenty of people have said thing like "so, I've got this funny noise coming from my engine".
But mechanic and electrician are skilled and highly trained jobs. If my fusebox went boom I wouldn't know where to start.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sales persons became Store Associates, purchasing became Materials Management, trash collectors became sanitation workers -- even sanitation engineers, and physicians, surgeons, and phlebotomists all became healthcare workers. Remember, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," or "it's like putting lipstick on a pig."

Try not to let it bother you.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
But what a good looking goat! ;)

I worked as a "Lot Engineer" Did I design parking lots? no, I was a cart collector and vehicle loader at Home Depot.

I thought it was an odd name for such a low paying job. ;)

Zaraphrax

Joined Mar 21, 2009
I have a similar dilemma. I'm a computer engineer, so I tell people that and they go "Oh, so that's like IT support, right? Can you fix my PC?". :(

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
people still can't tell the difference between electrician and electrical and electronics engineering? I hate it haha! They're like "You're going to university for 4 years just to wire a house?" *sigh*
If that's the worst you've been called, then you're doing very well ! :p