How many scientists can you get on one picture?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I came accross this on the wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvay_Conference
On the 5th conference in october 1927, many scientists came together and are shown on this picture:

English: 1927 Solvay Conference on Quantum Mechanics. Photograph by Benjamin Couprie, Institut International de Physique Solvay, Brussels, Belgium.
From back to front and from left to right :

Auguste Piccard, Émile Henriot, Paul Ehrenfest, Édouard Herzen, Théophile de Donder, Erwin Schrödinger, Jules-Émile Verschaffelt, Wolfgang Pauli, Werner Heisenberg, Ralph Howard Fowler,Léon Brillouin,

Peter Debye, Martin Knudsen, William Lawrence Bragg, Hendrik Anthony Kramers, Paul Dirac, Arthur Compton, Louis de Broglie, Max Born, Niels Bohr,

Irving Langmuir, Max Planck, Marie Skłodowska Curie, Hendrik Lorentz, Albert Einstein, Paul Langevin, Charles-Eugène Guye, Charles Thomson Rees Wilson, Owen Willans Richardson

Bertus

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I recognized Einstein, Bohr and Heisenberg. I should have recognized Curie, but I wasn't thinking.

I didn't recognize Lorentz either, unfortunately because he figures prominently in my favorite relativity limerick:

There once was a young man from Fisk
Whose stroke was exceedingly brisk;
So fast was his action
That the Lorentz Contraction
Foreshortened his rod to a disk.

(MODS: feel free to remove the above if it's too risque...)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
This photo, to me, represents a golden age of scientific thought and industrial progress. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Irving Langmuir is a hero of mine - a multidisciplinary wizard.
Inventor of improvements to make light bulbs to vacuum tubes and Nobel prize winner in chemistry (surface chemistry), inventor of plasma welding, valence theory, on and on.

I know just about all in the photo as I taught history of science and engineering for two years. Most are associated with defining the atom and elementary particles.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I got 11 then finally the 12th but by name only: I never thought I would ever see Captain Piccard with a near full head of hair!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Agreed! Healthy skepticism has been replaced with political consensus and ideological attachment to preordained outcomes bordering on religious fanaticism.
That's why when it comes to skepticism, I listen to what trained scientists have to say, not bloggers, politicians or pundits.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I would argue that many pictures have been taken of large groups of scientists. Maybe not as notable scientist... not by today's standards... but perhaps tomorrow's.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Does every thread in off-topic lead to the same old debate?
As far as I can tell, there are only 4 ways a thread gets resolved here:

1) The anti-science hijack

2) The anti-government hijack

3) The anti-education hijack

or... .drumroll please....

4) The "Look at what a badass I am 'cause I own all these guns" hijack.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
As far as I can tell, there are only 4 ways a thread gets resolved here:

1) The anti-science hijack

2) The anti-government hijack

3) The anti-education hijack

or... .drumroll please....

4) The "Look at what a badass I am 'cause I own all these guns" hijack.
Don't forget the anti-God hijack.