How many rubbish threads or input only users do you put on your ignore list?

blueroomelectronics

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I have a small but growing user ignore list, keeps the flotsam down to tolerable levels much like a spam filter would with email.
Usually incoherent babble or text-speak input only users make it there and I give them a very long rope.

I tend not to block the overunity / HHO types as they tend to be fanatical and usually start blathering and foaming over in short order plus it's fun to see how long the thread lock countdown clock will take.

But some users I just couldn't be bothered reading their usually effortless lazy posts looking for a handout for the umpteenth time. I'm almost sure reading drivel on a daily basis is how blood clots form in the brain.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have none. Most of the time. The ranters or those who are looking for an easy way out of some school project. Will only post in one thread then leave for good. Hence it will have no effect adding them to the ignore list.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I don't bother either. If a poster can't bother to put a decently-descriptive title on their post, I just ignore it. If I'm not sure, hovering the mouse over the title brings up a few beginning lines and I can decide on that whether or not to read the thread.

I make allowances for folks to whom English is not their native language, but I have little patience with people who can't bother to use a spell-checker in their browser or didn't learn basic English sentence construction in grammar school.

blueroomelectronics

Joined Jul 22, 2007
It's something I've done more recently, you can ignore a user and if you suspect there is a sliver of intelligence in a blocked post you can choose to view it. So far any time I've peered into a blocked post I've yet to find any nuggets of wisdom.

I've been here long enough that I can usually spot a homework post (most are) and as an added bonus for fun I try to decipher a posters location in the world based on the subject and context of their message.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
My list is empty. As I frequent mostly on Homework help, I have to remind newbies of the forum rules, so I have to see those posts.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There is a menu bar with "User CP" -- Click on that item
Under Settings and Options there is an "Edit Ignore List" -- Click on that

You should be able to figure out the rest

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ignore posts the old fashioned way (though I have threatened to use for specific cases). One of the more fustrating things for me is to see advice given (and argued over) that is just plain flat wrong. Drives me bonkers it does!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Please Ignore me,sweep me out,some of you are like mules
pulling against.Get a life before Its too late. Come around
telling people how to Ignore,take your cp's and click on down
the road. If you don't like the cellar(basement) don't come
down here and us tell how to run our life.This a great place to
relax and unwind and hold our tin cup out.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Oh yeah, I have a case in mind, but I don't want to mention specifics. The guy doing the argueing was a engineer in training, and took a concept put forth by a noob and was argueing it was a classic circuit (it wasn't). One of the few threads I lost my cool I'm afraid, invincible ignorance can be extremely fustrating.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You know your stuff Bill,I think you said the name of the company once ,
not sure. A great company,they have come a long way and you must
be really proud to work there. Not sure........

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Shortbus,only the Intellents Ignore people,they will not answer
question.They feel empowered in there silent world where they
belong.I think the Ignore button is a tool that has good intent.
Most of our members have open minds and don't use it.

blueroomelectronics

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Although it's somewhat less frequent I also block the liars that try to come in under the radar that are well aware their project is either dubious or a cheat. My BS detector is more often than not spot on.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Far as I know there is no way to tell, other than they act like you don't exist. If you try to send them a PM I think the site lets you know. I've never run into it before, so there is a lot I don't know about it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I'm glad I have confessed that I am am not a liar,a story teller
"yes" to keep my my privacy. I depend on people I trust, they
know more about me. I have listed some trust worthy guys I
am adding Nerdgutta to that list. Retched,Bill,VooDooMojo
and others that I will list later,I think shortbus is next.
John anyone would trust him,a great man. If you are worthy
of trust let me know. Forgot about Happy and J.L. My list
will be growing.Moderators hold a special place,that understood.
How could I forget about Raiff and Shortbus.

Last edited: