How many amps can it handle?

stiucrictuoballaprompet

Joined Dec 20, 2008
Hello,
I'm working on a project that uses nearly 7-8 amps max from a car battery (~12V).
I need something like a remote latch, so that I'm able to open and close the circuit by using a remote.
After some searching I found this device, that I think is cheap and seems to fit my needs:
http://www.rfremotech.com/RR1LNV2.pdf

I found the datasheet of the relay it is using, and it says that it can drive 10A @125V AC, so I think that I shouldn't have problems in my scenario (correct me if I'm wrong please).
I'm only a bit concerned about the output pins (near the relay) I should connect my battery to. Two of them are just used to power the remote latch, but the other three are directly connected to the relay: do you think they can handle 10A?

Thank you!

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
The pins themselves are probably Ok, but the traces, the push on connector (particularly at the wire crimp), and the wire size (because it must fit the crimp), will be your weak spots.

Also, make sure you fuse your DC supply coming off a battery. They can and will source large currents when shorted, making for nasty eruptions.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
According to the datasheet the relay will handle 10A @28VDC.
Each of the output pins can probably handle 15 Amps. (those are/look like Samtec FWS series of pins)

stiucrictuoballaprompet

Joined Dec 20, 2008
@GetDeviceInfo:
You are right, I won't have a lot of space between the pins. Moreover my wire is 16AWG, but probably if I lift those 3 pins I can solder the wires without problems.
About the fuse: sure, thanks, I've already put a fuse as close to the battery as possible.

@mcgyvr:
Yes! :) I lost hours without being able to find those pins' name. From their datasheet, the Samtec FWS can handle 15A at 40° ambient temperature, so they're fine!

Thank you very much!