how is Tv waste our time ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Beats paying for a movie.

Internet is pretty much the same thing nowdays, with broadband. You can watch TV and movies.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
hi

how is Tv waste our time ?

and how it's bad for our healthy ?

share us
In order for any activity to be a "waste of time", there must be some higher and better purpose. I'm almost 62 and society has made a determination that I no longer have much in the way of economically desireable skills. My kids are all grown up and they don't need me. I can only spend so many hours a day writting, and so I consider the time I spend being entertained as a well earned respite.

You're sorta like Kipling's "Elephant's Child" with your "satiable curtiosity"

Last edited:

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
Hi, it wastes in one way or another. The time spent on Tv,i consider that i could be reading a novel,bible or any material 2 gain knowledge.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I like what Groucho Marx said:

"I find television very educational. Whenever it's on, I go into another room and read a book."

Another great Groucho quote, from about 1949:

"I'm glad to see they're putting better screens on televisions. It's the only thing that stops the stuff from crawling into the living room."

:)

eric

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Hi, it wastes in one way or another. The time spent on Tv,i consider that i could be reading a novel,bible or any material 2 gain knowledge.

Try watching The Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc., then you can also acquire knowldege :rolleyes:, and stay away from "reality" shows, which are a definite waste of time....

My .02

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
never watch tv, except the docudaram by the bbc "Micro men". For those who dont know it its about the battle between Acorn and Sinclair. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. it gives me insparation which is why I watch it all the time!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I don't have a TV, haven't watched it in my life, basically.

Kind of leaves you "out" of a lot of conversations, which shows just how much impact the media can have on people's viewpoints and lives.

I am personally of the opinion that the rapidity of our downfall is due heavily to people getting their ideas of what is "normal" and "right" from TV.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I seldom watch TV. When I do, it's usually the History Channel, Discovery Channel, or a program where I might actually learn something; like a documentary.

Speaking of documentaries...
If you happen to have HBO, on Monday 16 November 2009, they will be airing a movie titled "Flash of Genius", a true story about Dr. Robert Kearns, the man who invented the intermittent windshield wiper. I happened to watch it just a couple of weeks ago, and it's well worth watching.

The only real "waste of time" show I watch is "Lost". :rolleyes: My wife got me started on that. Only one more season...

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
TV is a waste of time if you are watching too much OR if you are not getting stuff done that you should.

I watch little TV, but once in a while, it serves a purpose: relaxation! It's good to laugh and there are some fun things to watch.

Of course, sometimes, you CAN find programming that actually teaches you something ... as other posters have pointed out.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I only watch movies each night with my family on the weekends when we relax, but on the week-days there is no TV. Except for Monday night football, which my dad watches. I'm not much of a football fan, or any sport fanatic for that matter. He only watches one team though, so the TV is rarely on during week-days.

Austin

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
I like what Groucho Marx said:
"I find television very educational. Whenever it's on, I go into another room and read a book."
eric
Great! This is what I do when visiting my MIL, who loves TV.

I use my TVs as monitors for my ancient computers: TS-1000 & CoCo 2.

--Rich

olla86

Joined Nov 17, 2009
I watch TV one hour a day...that is why it doesn't waste a lot of my time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't consider my time in front of the tv a waste of time. I use it primarily for relaxation after a long day after the kids have gone to bed...

Watching a football game with my son can actually be very enjoyable. He's only five and he really gets a kick out of it. Seeing him jumping around after the plays and talking with him during the game is in my opinion time well spent.