How is speed factored in the Amperes calculation?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the eolectrons travel at the same speed. for twice as many to pass a point, they have to go through that point at the same speed, just "side by side" as it were. if the speed were variable, how would any signals on a computer buss remain in synch? 8 bits in paralell would arrive at different times because of the change in current due to more of less 1's and zeros. if bit 1 were all zeros and bit 2 were all ones, the current would be different, but they arrive at the same time if they travel the same distance.
and for more cars to pass a point at the same speed, there would have to be more lanes.

ptownbro

Joined Sep 28, 2013
ptownbro

Yes you are getting there, but I wouldn't recommend pursuing this model too far.
And yes the idea of little balls travelling along like cars on a motorway, each carrying one charge is just a model.

This is because there are other ways to transport electricity that are more efficient.
In a few cases like an electron beam in a cathode ray tube there really is such a stream of electrons.
But most electricity is carried by each carrier bumping their neighbour along a chain.
Yes. Understood. The equation as well as the dialogue here was helpful and satisfied my initial curiosity.

ptownbro

Joined Sep 28, 2013
the eolectrons travel at the same speed. for twice as many to pass a point, they have to go through that point at the same speed, just "side by side" as it were. if the speed were variable, how would any signals on a computer buss remain in synch? 8 bits in paralell would arrive at different times because of the change in current due to more of less 1's and zeros. if bit 1 were all zeros and bit 2 were all ones, the current would be different, but they arrive at the same time if they travel the same distance.
and for more cars to pass a point at the same speed, there would have to be more lanes.
Hm.. I understand the statements you've made individually, but I'm not able to connect them to understand the point you're making in the context of this discussion??

Thanks for jumping in the conversation by the way. All comments are welcome and the dialogue is appreciated (even sometimes the mean ones. haha).