How hard is it to find a person on the internet in real life?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've seen lots of movies, and it's time to seperate fact from fiction. If some hacker (or whatever you want to call a computer super literate genius who is quite possibly evil) wanted to find me, could he? I'm pretty sure the government could, since they can subpoena information, but what about an ordinary citizen who really knows what they're doing?

Can you get my IP address from this forum and use it to track me down physically? Are there other means? I just googled my internet alias (strantor) and found loads of stuff that I probably shouldn't leave floating around on the internet, but other than my real name, I didn't see anything that would lead a serial killer to my doorstep, or a pedophile to pick up my kid from school.

I know there's somebody here on this forum that knows the answer. Why don't you give it a shot please, if you're not too busy? See if you can find me. You don't have to self identify if you don't want to; send me a PM with whatever dirt you find. Actually, if you find anything, please don't post it here.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If a person had a license plate number from a car you once tried to sell, and knew the make and model of the car, and had a friend in law enforcement, it wouldn't take long to find you. ;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If it were a government I doubt it would be hard at all.

Me, I'm chincy. I balk at spending $20. By that criteria it is impossible.

Yes, I could get your IP address from this forum and probably identify you within a block or so. If I could intimidate your provider I could get the mailing address, or at least your credit card and financial institution. Again, it takes money.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Strantor, you posted so much personal information that it might even be possible for a non-hacker to find you. :D

I think I even saw a picture of yours somewhere around here.

As far as I know, your IP address is being registered on these forums, so it should be easy to hack at least this website to get it (not that I would be able to do it ;)) Just from a probability point of view, if they can hack into corporation networks and banks they can surely find you too...

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I am sure someone working for the government departments or CIA or FBI are also visitors in this forum. But if you are of no interest to these people, I dont think they would bother to track you. Unless you accidentally stepped on their feet and they are taking revenge on you.:D

If I were to track you down, I could always go to your public profile and start digging from there. At least I know that you're from US and lives in Houston tx. Some of the things that we saw in the movies might be becoming true in times to come but I dont think it's now or in the next 10 years. :p

Just my 2 cents...

Allen

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Its quite easy to find people if you know what your doing. Yes if you have an IP address you can track that person down. Then infiltrate the ISP of that IP to get the registered address. You can use proxy servers that will hide your IP address, or if your shady goto an apt complex and log in on someone elses wifi. Which is usually also pretty easy to get into with just a dictionary attack. It and internet security is a lot like the jedi force as TECH skills are often reffered too. If the person hunting you is more skilled then you then yes they could probably find you. If your better then them then you can hide in complete anonymous.

A lot of it comes into sweet talking the ISP, DMV, your phone carrier, etc... Its not hard if you have someone with charming skills. Then take into account I used to have relatives and friends that worked for both TECO, brighthouse and verizon, which covers 99% of all homes in my city. So with a phone call I could get your info from an IP address, phone number, wireless phone thru verizon or power bill.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Getting your IP address is pretty easy, I'd just put a link to an image in a thread that you are active in, while you are online. Click the link and I have your IP and probably a few other people, but that might be enough to tell which is yours. If not just repeat a few hours later on another thread.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Getting your IP address is pretty easy, I'd just put a link to an image in a thread that you are active in, while you are online. Click the link and I have your IP and probably a few other people, but that might be enough to tell which is yours. If not just repeat a few hours later on another thread.
Holy Toledo !

Now this I've never heard. I just assumed that the forum mods know where everyone is, but that forum visitors would need considerable skills to access the same dastabase.

I guess the moral of this story is NEVER to click on image links in any forum, for those who want to make tracing harder, though not impossible.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I've googled my screen name before and gotten loads of stuff I've done in the past. Mostly on forums and that sort of thing, though. But when I googled my real name I got absolutely nothing. It really depends on how careful you are with your personal life, real name, etc. I have the advantage of most people on the internet not knowing my real name. That helps protect my privacy, and also prevents "hackers" from making connections.

Tracking an IP address is fairly easy, and there is software out there that can track it practically to your doorstep. I've seen the programming (though I'd never be able to replicate it).

It's a lot easier than one might think, which is actually rather scary. All I can say is to try to be careful what you post. It could make a world of difference.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
Locating any one anymore is simply a matter of a few minutes digging and a bit of deduction. Once you start zeroing in the info will lead right to your door at home, work and play. Best approach is know it is that easy and don't do or say anything that might get you on someones radar. Since I have had a security clearance for many many years the Gov knows what color drawers I wear on Wednesdays, but since I just do my thing within the limits of the current laws they dont seem to care. But anything out of the ordinary shows up in my file, which gets reviewed and updated every 5 years and at my passport renewal time too. Just so you know the real deal, nobody and I mean NOBODY can be invisible anymore. Anyone can find you if they want, just need patience and perseverance to get it done.
Wheelchair Bob

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I've seen lots of movies, and it's time to seperate fact from fiction. If some hacker (or whatever you want to call a computer super literate genius who is quite possibly evil) wanted to find me, could he? I'm pretty sure the government could, since they can subpoena information, but what about an ordinary citizen who really knows what they're doing?
The fictional part is that people think that someone might be interested in knowing where they are. No doubt if you have a debt to pay, your wanted, but otherwise, few care.

The other fictional part is that 'intelligant' hackers can address any situation presented. Good luck. The vast majority of hackers have picked up on an exploit, typically over thier trade forums, then search for an instance of that code, and attempt the exploit. While half of the really good ones are working to patch identified exploits.

With sufficient 'permissions', one could tie the link right to your doorstep, assuming you either had house or auto insurance, a bank account, or other tangible registration. I wouldn't surprise me if some of these systems had backdoor access, but for those exploiting such, why would they even think of you??

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The fictional part is that people think that someone might be interested in knowing where they are. No doubt if you have a debt to pay, your wanted, but otherwise, few care.
Exactly!! Thats what I used to tell so many coworkers and clients. Do you really think someones gonna spend 4 days hacking your machine to get your world or warcraft scores? Or your elite collection of swedish pron?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
For those seeking to be anomymous their is a proxy server you used to be able to use run by the CIA for special agents on assignment. Everytime you loaded a page it bounced you from one proxy to another. It slowed browsing down by about 1-2 seconds a page, but it was anonymous. The CIA made it and gave out like 100,000 invitations to tech people to use it to basically dilute the agents transmissions. What was cool is every time you went to google, it was google.ge, google.me, google.cz, never google.com. Always had some foreign extention from where the proxy was located.