How filters work

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by stellarpower, Feb 20, 2009.

1. stellarpower

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Can anyone explain how filters, e.g. bandpass, work? Thanks. ;)

2. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Why certainly....one of my favorite topics.

Stand by, I need some coffee. :cool:

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. speeed_777

Oct 5, 2008
    fillter has diffrent construction according to it's band.suppose we are using high pass filtter ,then we can fillter all high frequency by connecting capacitor in series.

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Okay, I'm back.

All righty then. A filter works because reactive components (inductors and capacitors) have an effective resistance that changes with frequency. In fact this is the very definition of REACTANCE.

Let's take a very very simple filter, a capacitor and a resistor in series.
    Now, think of the capacitor and resistor as a voltage divider.

If we apply an alternating current to the input of the capacitor, and measure the voltage at the junction of the capacitor and the resistor. We will find that as we INCREASE the frequency, the voltage across the resistor increases. This is because the voltage drop across the capacitor DECREASES, according to the formula for capacitive reactance: Xc= 1/2pi*FC. This simple circuit creates a HIGH PASS filter, because at higher frequencies, we have more voltage across our load (the resistor)

7. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Now, what if we put an inductor and a resistor in series? An inductor looks like just a piece of wire at low frequencies...the effective "resistance" (Inductive reactance) is very small. An inductor acts the opposite of a capacitor. The formula for Inductive Reactance is: XL=2 pi *FL. The reactance of an inductor goes up proportionally to the frequency.

At a frequency of 0 Hz (DC) the full voltage of the power supply appears across the resistor. However, as the frequency INCREASES, less voltage appears across the resistor, because the inductor now has more effective resistance (reactance). So as we increase the frequency, the "output" voltage of the filter goes down. This is a basic LOW pass filter.

8. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Now, what happens if we take our primitive HIGH PASS filter, and follow it with a LOW PASS filter? Well, assuming the CUTOFF frequency is higher for the low pass filter than is is for the high pass filter, we now have a BANDPASS filter.

Pretty simple, eh?

9. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    P.S.

This is grossly oversimplified...we haven't even talked about the PHASE yet. But that will come.

Eric

10. speeed_777

Oct 5, 2008
    I have attached some simplest form of filter circuits,without use of inductor....:)

11. stellarpower

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Hang on a minute, my head is slowly working this out...011101011010110. beep beep beep.., and I'm back. So, to re-cap(acitor), a capacitor can work like a frequency-dependent-potentiometer. The higher the AC frequency, the more the capacitor resists (effectively). And with an inductor, the higher the frequency, the more current it lets through.

12. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

You've sort of got the picture, but you've got it exactly backwards. :)

A capacitor has LESS resistance at higher frequency, and the inductor has MORE resistance at higher frequency.

eric

13. stellarpower

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2009
    What does this bit mean?

14. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  15. stellarpower

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Sorry, could you explain that, as it's a bit confusing. I'm not good with maths.

16. wilson479

Feb 23, 2009
    The equivalent AC resistance (how much the capacitor fights against the current) is calculated by:

Xc = 1 / (2*pi*f*c)

Xc is the reactance (equivalent AC resistance)
    pi is the constant value 3.14159
    f is the input signal frequency
    c is the capacitor value in farads.

So if we have a 1uF capacitor and apply a signal of some volltage at 1kHz, the reactance (equivalent resistance) would be:

Xc = 1 / (2*3.14159*1000*0.001) = 0.16 ohms (almost short circuit)

If we reduce the applied frequency to 10Hz;

Xc = 1 / (2*3.14159*10*0.001) = 16 ohms

So you see the capacitor allows high frequency and fights against low frequency.

17. italo

Nov 20, 2005
    IT work by signal leads and lags .