How does Windows 10 know which version to install?

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Right now with the free update you will have to update your win 7 to 10. Then you can do a clean install of 10 on that computer. The 10 upgrade doesn't use a product key, it sends a magic number to MS that tells it the computer has been upgraded. You can only upgrade to the same version, home, pro, etc.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Do a clean install of your Windows 7 onto your SSD and then do an automatic upgrade to Windows 10.

I think this is the only way you can go. If you attempt an install on to a new SSD you won't get the free upgrade.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Do a clean install of your Windows 7 onto your SSD and then do an automatic upgrade to Windows 10.

I think this is the only way you can go. If you attempt an install on to a new SSD you won't get the free upgrade.
My problem is that I don't have a disk. I do have a restore partition but not sure how to access it.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Accessing the restore partition is usually a key press on startup, check your documentation or Google your computer model to find out what key to hold when starting the computer. You may need to visit the PC manufactures site anyway to download updated drivers for 10.

I would clone the existing drive to the new drive, do the update to 10 then wipe the drive and do a clean installation of 10.

If it's a laptop you will need to make an image then swap the drive and restore the image. If it's a desktop you can probably install both drives then do a direct clone.

All kinds of drive clone/imaging software on the market, this is just an example.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-professional/