How does this battery work in this dremel?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by foolios, Dec 3, 2009.

1. foolios

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    There are 4 contact points in the battery:

I did not seem to be able to rotate the inside like I assumed it was spinning, but I think that would be too much more movement than is actually happening anyways. Dunno for sure.

How do these contacts pair up?

And why the two positives on one side and two negatives on the other?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It looks to me like the + and - ends are connected in series by the diagonal connector strip.

Presumably, that is high speed. I am surprised, as were you, that the blue ring doesn't rotate to give a parallel orientation for low speed/higher power. Is there a locking collar that prevented doing that?

John

3. wii552

Dec 2, 2009
    i am pretty sure it rotates, as there is a circular marking o the battery- like there was something rubbing on it

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Nope, it doesn't rotate. That is probably meant to be some sort of universal contactors. Is that the battery that came with the unit, the angle you offer doesn't show. It looks a lot like one of my Dremels.

5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    In my dremmel (cordless), this part does rotate either left or right depending on speed you select with the switch.....

6. foolios

Feb 4, 2009
    I will mess with it again to see if the inside will move.

So, if it does move, then the contacts are making it turn kinda like a generator with magnets rotating?

I am surprised that it was designed like this. I have barely used this dremel, but it would appear that the contacts won't last long from all the friction. It seems like the batteries will get beat up. But then again I guess the plastic part doesn't really matter much as long as the contacts are there.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It doesn't rotate continuously like a generator/dynamo. You rotate it only to change between low and high speed. That is, when the cells are in series it is high speed; when parallel, it is low speed.

John

8. wii552

Dec 2, 2009
    that makes sense

9. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I have one of these Dremel tools and it is true that the contacts rotate when you rotate the speed setting switch. It is actually quite clever.

hgmjr

10. foolios

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks for responses

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010