How does the strength of an electrical field vary with the distance from it?

Theophila

Joined Nov 20, 2014
The how's your maths was an offer to help further by the way.

You asked specifically about electric fields, but usually (and always when there is moving charge or electric current involved) there are both electric and magnetic fields involved.

These have different effects.

The magnetic fields cause heating in susceptible materials, depending upon frequency, field strength and the material concerned.
So for instance the magnetic component of microwaves heats water molecules.

Electric fields do not cause heating.

One effect that has been noted is the beneficial increase in wound healing rate, pioneered by a unversity hospital in New York.
Apparantly apply the right electric field across the wound speeds up the healing, for unknown reasons.

Back to Maxwell's equations, the four equations completely describe electric and magnetic effects between them.

Maxwell II often reduces to Gauss' Law or Laplaces Equation and in many cases can be reduced still further.

So ask away for more.
Thank you very much. When I get more time, I will take you up on that. Have a great day! ")

Theophila

Joined Nov 20, 2014
This would make you an overhead power line detector. If I thought I "usually" got headaches from driving under power lines, I'd want to prove it.

I'd have a friend blindfold (and earplug) me and drive me around unfamiliar parts of town, both under high-tension lines, and far away from them. I'd track the ride vs. gps, and note my "headache condition" vs. time. At the end of the trip, I'd have a third party match headaches vs. position, and position vs. power lines. If I indeed had a propensity to headaches near powerlines, this should result in a strong correlation. If not, it would show that I'm full of c***, probably more often than I am aware.

For an infinitely long and straight power line (this is a reasonable assumption for small r), the answer is 1/r.
You are very right, Joeyd999. You must be a true scientist. Some day, I will conduct this experiment and report back to you, if you like. I'd need two friends, one to drive and one to write down the position and my headache times. I wouldn't do this to "prove" it to myself, as there is no need. But it may be publishable. Thanks for the good idea.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
joey's procedure is what is known as 'double blind testing'.

This means that the subjects do not know when the conditions coincide during the test and cannot subconsciously influence the test.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Yes them to, Spook.

Interestingly the electric field during a thunderstorm can reach very high values.

thunder1.jpg

thunder2.jpg

It's long been known that some people cannot wear a wtistwatch for long before it goes wrong.
Lot's of experiments were conducted but no definite answers that I've ever heard of.
I always attributed this to an electric field effect.

Theophila

Joined Nov 20, 2014
Yes them to, Spook.

Interestingly the electric field during a thunderstorm can reach very high values.

View attachment 76061

View attachment 76062

It's long been known that some people cannot wear a wtistwatch for long before it goes wrong.
Lot's of experiments were conducted but no definite answers that I've ever heard of.
I always attributed this to an electric field effect.
Thank you. Very interesting.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
We had a long thread here, a few years ago, by a member who was (claimed to be?) extremely sensitive to electric fields and regularly became ill from them.

I can't find it at the moment but will post the link when I do, unl;ess someone else can remember it and beat me to it.

Theophila

Joined Nov 20, 2014
We had a long thread here, a few years ago, by a member who was (claimed to be?) extremely sensitive to electric fields and regularly became ill from them.

I can't find it at the moment but will post the link when I do, unl;ess someone else can remember it and beat me to it.
Excellent!!! Thank you very much! God bless you ")

Theophila

Joined Nov 20, 2014
That explains everything...
So does your remark. You have all the sweetness of the typical anti-God folks. You're here, partially, to find someone to provoke enough to trade insults with. I'm sorry you have such a miserable life which compels you to do these things, and I hope and pray you find some joy for which to thank God every day, especially on this upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.
May God, Who created electricity and all the wonders of the Universe, bless you!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I'm a home buyer, reluctant to buy too near those high tension towers. They usually give me a headache when I drive under them.

I know the strength of a small charge's field varies 1/r x r, where r is the distance from it. I read that formula doesn't hold for fields generated by a large charge.

I would appreciate a referenced answer :) Thank you!
IMHO, I think the answer is clear. If you are concerned, don't do it.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I'm a home buyer, reluctant to buy too near those high tension towers.

IMHO, I think the answer is clear. If you are concerned, don't do it.
Sound advice.
In England proximity to one of these reduces the value of a property and makes them more difficult to sell, so there is a corresponding reluctance on the part of buyers.