How does signaling type determine device choice?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Management, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Management

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 18, 2007
    "Hi Every Body", (I always loved that saying on the Simspons)

I would like to know if I was to use some differential signaling method like LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling) how would that affect the device That i choose to drive an LED and the TIA (Transimpedance Amp) I would need on teh receive end?

So this is more of a sourcing question on how to properly select devices. I know the specs of the LED and I know I should be trying to find a device that drives the proper amount of current it needs but I don't know if I the parts are made to comply with LVDS standards or something. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Is the LED at such a distance that it can't be driven with a pair of wires? To do the LVDS signalling, the easiest way would be a pair of microprocessors. What is the circuit supposed to do?
  3. Management

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I think I used the wrong wording. It is not an LED but more of a laser diode for GB data communication. Can't get into too much details but I would like to drive a laser diode by use a driver from either Maxim, GigOptix, or some other manufacturer.

I think it can be described below:

LVDS ----> Driver/Matching Circuitry ---> Laser Diode

I more concerned about the center portion. I have identified a few parts that I think can work but not sure about the application. I will comb the manf. websites for application notes but i wanted to know if anyone can provide some help with how to select laser diode drivers when using LVDS.

Also, how to actually use the driver circuitry is a different story. I'll have to count on the applications notes, if they exist, from the manf. or if someone can give me some suggestions on how drivers are used.