How does it work - inverter generators 110 230 Volts switching

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
You don't need double pole circuit breakers. you need 10A to protect the windings of the generator when using 240V.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Thanks for that. Looking at the inverters they aren't quite the same as one has the speed control circuit in it & the other doesn't. But they appear to be tied so the frequency is in phase. So it should work with them wired in series to give 220V & 2x 110V ac. It must be cheaper to build 2 inverters than one large one!!!

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for that. Looking at the inverters they aren't quite the same as one has the speed control circuit in it & the other doesn't. But they appear to be tied so the frequency is in phase. So it should work with them wired in series to give 220V & 2x 110V ac. It must be cheaper to build 2 inverters than one large one!!!
What is that little blue transformer that says 120v ?

The other issue here is this: the fans that are controlled by two modules. ( see the little cut red cable ? )No idea if they will work or not after mod. What are those modules used for ?

Inverter modules apparently are tied together by the black bottom cable assy.

And probably they use the same components to make the 240v unit.

What is uncanny for me is the fact that they also use two 240 outlets, one for each inverter module.

Attachments

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
The little blue transformer would get its 110v ac from inside that module to power circuits inside that inverter. What voltage is marked on the fans? & do these module vary the fan speed with differtent loads or internal temperatures?

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
The little blue transformer would get its 110v ac from inside that module to power circuits inside that inverter. What voltage is marked on the fans? & do these module vary the fan speed with differtent loads or internal temperatures?
There are no labels on that modules. I also thought that those modules control fan speed. Fans also doesn't have any label.

Attachments

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
There are no labels on that modules. I also thought that those modules control fan speed. Fans also doesn't have any label.
I think that module converts some ac voltage to dc voltage for the cooling fans. What I am sure is that AC voltage does not come from the inverter modules.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
All inverter generators have separate windings in the generator head for running fans & 12v battery charging.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
By thw way for those who would like to buy the clone version of the Honda EU7000 fuel injection, maybe a smaller watt version, there is already a china clone that has the new Honda EFI engine. How do they do it , I don't know

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Fans run at around 10.5v on low idle. Probably the fans control boxes control speed varying voltage. Tomorrow I will set the inverters in series to see what happens.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Bad news debe, it did't work. No sparks or fireworks whatsoever. When in series it does not produce any voltages.

I tried swapping the black and white cables to set it in series with no luck as well.

Also tried to disconnect the black cable assy that connects both inverter modules also with no voltages. With this cable assy disconnected only works the first inverter producing 120v. The second one does not.

This genset apparently only works with both inverter modules in parallel to produce the full 5000w.

Well at least I tried to make it work in series, but it didn't work.

No idea if the chinese produce this genset in single phase for 240v splitted like other gensets. Would be a hit but you can find only the 120v version in the USA.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Let's talk about old fashion ways to do a safe wiring, in other words, use a 120v generator to feed both buses, by using a interlock kit, shutting off all the double pole breakers for 220v appliances, etc.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
All the neutrals and grounds are shared to the neutral coming from the utility. I used a continuity meter to do it. See picture.

In theory tell me if this may work:
I have a 120v, 30 A outlet in my genset, prepare a 10AGW, 4c cable ( remember I thought it was going to work in 240v) to work for 120v. Wire and install the L14-30 male connector with only 120v in one leg. On the other tip of the cable I install a 10-40P male connector.

Inside that 10-40P connector I make a jumper in order to have 120v backfeeding each leg in the 10-30R female outlet.

Before doing all this, I turn the main breaker off an all 240v will remain off, except the drier' s which will remain on in order to let backfeeding.

Also will turn off all the 120v breakers before hooking up the 10-30P to the driers outlet.

I plug the modified extension to the driers outlet, turn on genset and then turn on one by one the 120v breakers.

As you can see, drier breaker is 240v, 30A. Genset is 30A at 120v.

Will I have some kind of problem with this set up?

Also for increasing security, I plan to install a main breaker inside the house ( main breaker is inside the utility counter box out of the home, it is a double pole 100A breaker.) of the same size 100A at the breaker box. There is a space provided for it.

I don't know why many people say it is dangerous do this than running many extension cords dangling around ! How about tripping on one of them, how many extension cords are yuo going to use ?

Remember, I will not use by any means to use any 220v because it is impossible with what I propose, just want to power both buses with a single phase 120v coming from the genset. Also plan to ground the genset to a close ground rod I installed recently. There is nothing connected to it actually. It isin the backyard close to where the generator is going to be, inside a garden storage shelter.

Any comments from anyone is welcome.

Attachments

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Well, after wiring back to original, I'll modify the cable to backfeed through a drier outlet by doing a jumper between x and y in order to feed both 120v . Before plugging, I'll disconnect both main breakers ( the one at the meter and the one at the breaker box), will unplug the water heater and turn off the inverters AC breaker.
When electricity coms back again, I'll know because there is a street light outside or people here usually claps their hands when AC come back.

Bad thing I could not make this inverter to work in 240v.

Today I will measure the head output voltage.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
By chance I measured the voltagein the Nema 5-20 outlet. Gives me 120v between hot and neutral pins. But gives me 60v between ground pin and neutral and 60v between ground pin and hot. What I,ve found in the web is that this is a floating ground inverter generator, like many other inverters out there, they are configured like that.

I did a resistance test between neutral and ground pins and there is no ohms. Between ground pin and chassis there is continuity.

Will I have any problems wiring this inverter genset to my home?

I've also read that grounding this gennie is not advisable ( what is the grounding nut used for though).

Is this info correct? Points 10 and 11 is what describe my situation.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/support/faqs/faq16.aspx

Any comment is welcome. Any thread already opened refer it.

redcentinela

Joined Feb 26, 2015
This info regarding this type of generator has been very clarifying for me. Now I know what the ground nut is used for: to attach a cable in a motorhome or truck's frame. If used as a home's backup, this type of gensets have no problem using house wiring grounding system.

Here is the info between " " :

"
You cannot bond the neutral to ground on a Honda and similar generators because there is no neutral. You have hot L1, hot L2, and ground. L1 and L2 are about 62 volts to ground and about 124 volts across the two. (Cross hot 62 volts to ground and you'll either pop the overcurrent protection or smoke the very expensive electronics.)"